Packer's first talk as an Apostle

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
bballrob

Packer's first talk as an Apostle

Post by bballrob »

President Packer was sustained as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve at the April 1970 General Conference. I am looking for a video of his first talk as an Apostle, which I presume occurred at that conference. Does anyone know where I might be able to find that?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Packer's first talk as an Apostle

Post by aebrown »

The Church's plan for general conference archives is described in this article. It explains that video and audio (and text, of course) are available back to April 1971.

At the beginning of the April 1970 conference, Boyd K. Packer was an Assistant to the Council of the Twelve. He spoke on Saturday, April 4, 1970, at the Priesthood Session. The text of that talk is available on page 40 of the April 1970 Conference Report. He was sustained as an apostle on Monday, April 6, 1970, and he did not speak again during that conference, so his first talk as an apostle was not in April 1970.

His first general conference talk as an apostle was given on Sunday, October 4, 1970. It can be found on page 118 of the October 1970 Conference Report. I don't know where video might be available.
bballrob

Post by bballrob »

Thanks for the references and the information. Interesting that he spoke that conference BEFORE He was sustained.

I do really need a video for what I'm looking for. I'm creating a "mini-movie" for personal use and to show in my ward potentially showing each member of the first presidency and quorum of the 12 giving their first talk after being sustained an apostle. I have clips for everyone but Packer now.

So, if anyone knows where I may be able to find it, please advise.

Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bballrob wrote:I do really need a video for what I'm looking for. I'm creating a "mini-movie" for personal use and to show in my ward potentially showing each member of the first presidency and quorum of the 12 giving their first talk after being sustained an apostle. I have clips for everyone but Packer now.
Although it's not exactly what you're looking for, I would note that in his April 1971 talk, Elder Packer talked in some detail about his call as an apostle one year earlier. Although it wasn't technically his first general conference talk as an apostle, it does cover content more similar to what other newly-sustained apostles speak about than you find in his October 1970 talk. So if you can't find video of the October 1970 talk, you might consider using the April 1971 talk, for which video is indeed available.

Return to “General Discussions”