Just curious - church music

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
pahollow

Re: Just curious - church music

Post by pahollow »

russellhltn wrote:
pahollow wrote:Maybe this is the wrong forum but you know "enquiring minds..."
The problem is the forum is primarily user-to-user. The people you need to reach don't visit. I'd suggest using the Feedback link on the main lds.org site. I doubt if you'll receive a timely response, but it will get into the system and routed to someone.
Thanks I just did that
pahollow

Post by pahollow »

sbradshaw wrote:
pahollow wrote:Also, is there a reason why Hymn number 342 "Advance Australia Fair" is not included" it is odd in both cases that we have to pick up hard copy Hymnbooks in these few instances. ... On the matter of inserts such as local national anthems, I was told there was no problem with inclusion at all but still it is not there. Maybe this is the wrong forum but you know "enquiring minds..."
Is the Australian national anthem included in Australian-printed copies of the hymnbook? I'd never heard of that. My hymnbook ends at 341 with "God Save the King".
No it is an insert
sbradshaw wrote:The problem with including a few national anthems is that you are expected to include all of them. If it were up to me, I wouldn't include any at all. There are two potential problems with including national anthems:

1) Some national anthems may not fit in as well with the gospel message (take, for example, France's national anthem which talks about blood and war, which was in the previous edition of the French hymnbook but has since been removed). Should we be glorifying war in a hymnbook? Or encouraging thoughtless pride?
Well in the case of the Aussie one it has scripture references at the bottom so it is okay.
sbradshaw wrote:2) It would be unrealistic to include all national anthems. In the English hymnbook, you'd have to include the national anthems for Great Britain, England, Wales, Ireland, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand... and that's just in the English hymnbook.
Maybe it could be done on an area by area basis.
sbradshaw wrote:Some national anthems or patriotic songs are included at the end of the English, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, and Thai hymnbooks.
Last edited by aebrown on Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix quote tags
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I followed up about Hymn #342 on the "LDS Music Industry" Facebook group. Apparently the church used to publish inserts for three national anthems: O Canada, God Defend New Zealand, and Advance Australia Fair. Although church policy still allows national anthems to be inserted in the hymnbook, the decision is left to local priesthood leaders and inserts are no longer published or distributed by the church. Because these songs are no longer official church publications, they will not be published on the LDS.org music site or in the church apps. Always interesting to learn something new!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
enachel

Post by enachel »

Does anyone know how I can get the score to the BYU Mens Choir rendition of "I Love the Lord" sung to "Be Still My Soul" sung on July 30, 2013 (it is on YouTube). I am involved with our ward choir.

Thanks.

Please respond to: qwed5136@gmail.com
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

enachel wrote:Does anyone know how I can get the score to the BYU Mens Choir rendition of "I Love the Lord" sung to "Be Still My Soul" sung on July 30, 2013 (it is on YouTube). I am involved with our ward choir.
The arrangement is by Ronald Staheli and can easily be found by doing a web search for something like "I love the Lord Staheli sheet muic". One source is from Jackman Music: I Love the Lord TTBB (a SSAATTBB arrangement is also available).

One interesting note: the lyrics were written by John S. Tanner, who was just named as the new president of BYU-Hawaii.
enachel wrote:Please respond to: qwed5136@gmail.com
You'll need to look for responses here on the forum. It's great that you posted the question publicly so that others can benefit from the question. But others will also benefit from the answer, so answers are also posted publicly -- not directly to your personal email. You are welcome to subscribe to this topic (click on the "Subscribe Topic" link at the very bottom of this page) if you want to be notified by email of posts to this topic.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Some good news – the Church just got some contracts in place for publishing a few more songs digitally, that were previously restricted. Sheet music and audio recordings of "All Creatures of Our God and King," "If You Could Hie to Kolob," "For All the Saints," and "I Saw a Mighty Angel Fly" will be added to Gospel Library, LDS Music, and LDS.org in the next few weeks (in various languages).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “General Discussions”