How to make an EZReader ebook for Handheld PC Pro Device

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jschapman
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Lehi, UT
Contact:

How to make an EZReader ebook for Handheld PC Pro Device

Postby jschapman » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:14 pm

I have a NEC MobilePro 880 device (MIPS processor, Handheld PC Pro, Windows CE 2.11). This device is relatively old and does not support even Pocket PC 2000 software.

I have found that the best scripture reader software is still the EZReader Software from Axiom Technologies. I have installed the available ebooks from the pda/handheld page for EZReader Archive.

I would like to know if it would be possible to get a hold of some software that will allow me to create new ebooks for current conference reports and other files from the church's website. One possibility would be to convert a current format into EZReader format (from yanceyware or mobipocket format to EZReader format). Another possibility would be to convert from html to EZReader format.

Is there any possibility that I could get some information on how to create an EZReader ebook?

Thanks in advance for any help,

User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

Postby WelchTC » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:25 am

I'm the author of the EZReader program (I was the owner of Axiom Technologies). If there is any interest in the community, I could post the code for people to use. I don't have any time to write converters from other formats to EZReader format but others may.

Tom

marcwj-p40
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:15 am
Location: Woodinville, WA, USA

Postby marcwj-p40 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:30 am

Tom,

You mentioned that there an't (and you don't have time to write) converters from other formats to EZReader. How about visa versa? Do you know of anyone who has gotten the EZReader files into another format (i.e., eReader)?

Alternatively, do you know any way to get the LDS scriptures in a reader for the iPhone? I was loath to give up the convenience of having the scriptures always in my shirt pocket with my Palm Pilot. I know I can get it via the internet but it isn't nearly as convenient. Your reader program was great.

User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

Postby WelchTC » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:45 am

marcwj wrote:Tom,

You mentioned that there an't (and you don't have time to write) converters from other formats to EZReader. How about visa versa? Do you know of anyone who has gotten the EZReader files into another format (i.e., eReader)?

Alternatively, do you know any way to get the LDS scriptures in a reader for the iPhone? I was loath to give up the convenience of having the scriptures always in my shirt pocket with my Palm Pilot. I know I can get it via the internet but it isn't nearly as convenient. Your reader program was great.

I am not aware of any converters. Sorry :(

Tom

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:33 pm

marcwj wrote:Alternatively, do you know any way to get the LDS scriptures in a reader for the iPhone? I was loath to give up the convenience of having the scriptures always in my shirt pocket with my Palm Pilot. I know I can get it via the internet but it isn't nearly as convenient.

There are a few iPhone apps that you can download from the iTunes store that are really well done. I have tried two of them.

One is free and is called "The Scriptures" by Lee Falin. It only allows you to search and browse the Scriptures right now. It is really well done and I think the developer hopes to enhance this feature set and maybe even add more content.

I also found a paid application selling for $15 called "Scriptures" by AccuText, LLC. It seems to be run by like one or two guys and has a really good support for questions or bugs (the support site is run by a third-party). This application gives you the Scriptures, Conference Talks, RS/Priesthood Manual (Teachings of Joseph Smith), text from the Hymns, Book of Mormon Study Guide & Teacher's Manual (Sunday School), For the Strength of Youth, Family Proclaimation, the Living Christ, and even the Constitution! And the developer informed that he would be committed to giving free updates and new features without additional fees. Unfortunately, this Scriptures app doesn't do more than just search and browse either.

I decided to go with the purchased app because of all the content (and future content) provided. But the free one was just as good.

geekatcmu
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Doha, Qatar (Manama Bahrain Stake)

Yes, please, the source would be great!

Postby geekatcmu » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:54 pm

tomw wrote:I'm the author of the EZReader program (I was the owner of Axiom Technologies). If there is any interest in the community, I could post the code for people to use. I don't have any time to write converters from other formats to EZReader format but others may.

Tom


First of all, Tom, I'd like to thank you for the work on the EZReader. I used it long ago on my first PDA and miss it.

Secondly, would you be averse to allowing me to look at your source code? My personal intention would be to use that as a basis for some Python code that I could use to convert EZReader PDBs via calibre, which is the best eBook manager for the Sony E-Reader. (calibre.kovidgoyal.net) I would be quite happy to contribute my work back to you, or post it up as public domain, whichever you prefer.

User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

Postby WelchTC » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:48 am

geekatcmu wrote:First of all, Tom, I'd like to thank you for the work on the EZReader. I used it long ago on my first PDA and miss it.

Secondly, would you be averse to allowing me to look at your source code? My personal intention would be to use that as a basis for some Python code that I could use to convert EZReader PDBs via calibre, which is the best eBook manager for the Sony E-Reader. (calibre.kovidgoyal.net) I would be quite happy to contribute my work back to you, or post it up as public domain, whichever you prefer.

I'd be happy to share. But I must warn you that EZReader used a proprietary compression algorithm that is not well documented and so trying to understand how to grab data and convert it may be tough.

Tom

geekatcmu
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Doha, Qatar (Manama Bahrain Stake)

Bring it on!

Postby geekatcmu » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:55 am

I've actually had pretty good luck doing this kind of thing in the past. And this time there will be at least *some* reference material. Reverse engineering data formats with neither documentation nor code is ... somewhat difficult.

User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

Postby WelchTC » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:08 am

geekatcmu wrote:I've actually had pretty good luck doing this kind of thing in the past. And this time there will be at least *some* reference material. Reverse engineering data formats with neither documentation nor code is ... somewhat difficult.

Contact me privately and I'll make it available.

Tom

meffordm
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:11 am
Location: Layton, UT, USA

Postby meffordm » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:15 am

Tom,

I'd like to update EZ Reader. Would you open source your code for that?


Michael.


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest