Digital Scripture formats w/ smartphones

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
gdow

Post by gdow »

I recently switched from the BlackJack II to the iPhone. I also have a BlackBerry and have used a Dell Axim and Palm (Sony Clie).

The iPhone has my favorite app for the scriptures which is called "LDS Scriptures". It has a Christus icon with a blue background. It is $15 from the iTunes store and is well worth it.

It has all the standard works and is chalk full of features (note-taking, marking, etc) seems to have every class and instructor manual available (many that I didn't know existed), and let's you subscribe to Ensign downloads. It also let me upload Word docs and PDFs, so I know have specific talks from General Authorities that I have been archiving within easy reach and my notes from religion courses at Ricks.

It includes an Web interface where I can manage and upload content.

- Garrett
TechnoBabel-p40

Android Scriptures

Post by TechnoBabel-p40 »

I just got my Google Nexus One and tried the Reveal Reader from the Android Market. Wow! That thing is great! It has everything I need. I am impressed!! I've been extremely pleased with Android and specifically the Nexus One so far. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to get my Church text on it right away... but NO PROBLEM!

TB
brado426

Post by brado426 »

TechnoBabel wrote:I just got my Google Nexus One and tried the Reveal Reader from the Android Market. Wow! That thing is great! It has everything I need. I am impressed!! I've been extremely pleased with Android and specifically the Nexus One so far. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to get my Church text on it right away... but NO PROBLEM!

TB
I just got a Nexus One also and I have also been using the Reveal Reader. It works great and they are constantly improving it. It is very handy to have my Old Testament teacher's manual with me at all times so I can study it before my lesson throughout the week. It is also great that I never have to worry about forgetting my EQ manual because I have it on my phone. It also has the scriptures in various languages and tons of other content (such as LDS General Conference transcripts, etc)

Brad O.
http://musicofthemonth.com
Wegg-p40

Post by Wegg-p40 »

Thank you very much. This appears to work on my nook.
ggoehring

EPUB & HTML Format Scriptures (OT, NT, PofG, BoM)

Post by ggoehring »

I purchased a Sony pocket reader and needed to find the scriptures for use. If you have a reader, you know they are slow for jumping around, thus they make good reading devices, but not the best for looking up a specific book and verse quickly. However, there is still a need to be able to navigate. I downloaded calibre from the web and then began to experiment how to convert a text file into an epub file with desired navigation. So far, I have completed the Old Testament, New Testament, Pearl of Great Price and The Book of Mormon.

These required many hours of my time to insert the tags, and in the end was worth the effort. However, why keep this to myself? If you are interested in using my files, they can be accessed at:

http://www.icentricity.net/my-ebooks.aspx

There is a brief instruction sheet as to how to download the required files and then upload them to your reader. They are also available in .html format as well.
mkpolansky

Post by mkpolansky »

Here's a shout out for the iTouch and the app that the church has produced. Not only do you get almost every manual you would need, you have the ability with the iTouch to listen to or watch General Conference via podcast or download. In addition to Conference, there are a large number of other podcasts available to download as well.

Return to “General Discussions”