Can a priest assist with a setting apart

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
mead170375

Can a priest assist with a setting apart

Postby mead170375 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:20 pm

I used a priest this past Sunday to assist me with a setting apart (YW secretary). I have seen priests help out with settings aparts before, however I received a call from the 2nd councillor on our stk pres questioning if I was right to do such. Can anyone clarify the doctrine please?

D&C 20:58 says deacons and teacher do not have FHE authority to lay on hands, which would suggest priests do.

Anyways, I'm confused..... :)

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Can a priest assist with a setting apart

Postby jdlessley » Wed May 15, 2013 11:56 pm

From Handbook 2, 8.1.1, a priest, "[w]hen authorized by the bishop, ... performs baptisms, confers the Aaronic Priesthood, and ordains deacons, teachers, and priests (see D&C 20:46, 48)." The priest's priesthood authority is limited to confering to the Aaronic Priesthood and ordaining to the offices described in D&C 48.. Setting apart the Young Women Secretary falls under the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Thu May 16, 2013 7:49 am

jdlessley wrote:Setting apart the Young Women Secretary falls under the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

Handbook 2:20.1.1 says that only brethren who hold the necessary priesthood to perform an ordinance or blessing may stand in the circle, and 20.1.2 says that only a Melchizedek Priesthood holder may set apart a person to serve in a Church calling.

Therefore, as jdlessley has pointed out, only those who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood should stand in the circle for a setting apart. (Note also 20.7.1 where, when a high priest is ordained or when a man is set apart to an office that requires him to be a high priest, only high priests stand in the circle.)

A priest (with authorization) may ordain a deacon, teacher, or priest, and may therefore stand in the circle during one of those Aaronic Priesthood ordinations.

allenjpl

Postby allenjpl » Thu May 16, 2013 12:25 pm

mead170375 wrote:D&C 20:58 says deacons and teacher do not have FHE authority to lay on hands, which would suggest priests do.

It doesn't suggest that. In fact, verses 46-52, which outline the priest's responsibilities, do not include any reference to laying on hands. The reference to laying on of hands may have come because that portion of the revelation (from 38-67) also deals with apostles and elders, who do lay on hands. As others have said, priests can ordain deacons, teachers, and other priests. But they don't have anything to do with administrating the church, and calling and setting people apart is unquestionable an administrative activity.

Return to “General Discussions”