Church Email addresses for Bishops and Stake Presidents

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
bsummie

Church Email addresses for Bishops and Stake Presidents

Post by bsummie »

Any thoughts on the church issuing email addresses on secured servers for leaders similar to missionary email accounts? Just thinking of pros and cons.
techgy
Community Moderators

Re: Church Email addresses for Bishops and Stake Presidents

Post by techgy »

jtsummie wrote:Any thoughts on the church issuing email addresses on secured servers for leaders similar to missionary email accounts? Just thinking of pros and cons.
A stake President already has a Church-issued Email address. I don't know about his counselors. However, this doesn't extend to a Bishop or his counselors.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

techgy wrote:A stake President already has a Church-issued Email address. I don't know about his counselors. However, this doesn't extend to a Bishop or his counselors.
Only the stake president. A mission president has this, as well.

The account is actually a unit account that the stake president can access, not a personal account. When he is released, he gives the password to the new stake president who, presumably, changes it. (Or he can set a temporary password to use for the transition.)
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote:The account is actually a unit account that the stake president can access, not a personal account. When he is released, he gives the password to the new stake president who, presumably, changes it. (Or he can set a temporary password to use for the transition.)
I believe that when a new stake president is recorded in CDOL the password is reset and a letter is sent to the new stake president with the new password.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

My personal feeling about the question actually asked in the thread is that yes, it would be valuable, many and most would likely prefer to use their own email addresses, but we send around so much private information in our personal email that it might help protect a bit of that.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JonesRK wrote:
lajackson wrote:The account is actually a unit account that the stake president can access, not a personal account. When he is released, he gives the password to the new stake president who, presumably, changes it. (Or he can set a temporary password to use for the transition.)
I believe that when a new stake president is recorded in CDOL the password is reset and a letter is sent to the new stake president with the new password.
I can't speak to how it is supposed to work, but I can definitively say that it did not work that way when our new stake president was called last year. For many months afterwards, the old stake president's password was still operative, and no such letter was sent to the new stake president.

Instead, we had to follow the procedure the lajackson described.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:For many months afterwards, the old stake president's password was still operative, and no such letter was sent to the new stake president.

Instead, we had to follow the procedure the lajackson described.
I believe if the handoff does not happen locally, the new stake president can request a new password, and it will come by letter to the CDOL address. But, our last two stake president changes included the local transfer of the account and password.

I recall that when I first became eligible by calling to access one or two specific Church websites, I was not able to access them until I received a letter with a password. This was before LDSAccount was generally in use, however, and I think most permissions are given today by validating that the person with the LDSAccount holds the calling required for access.
rossreno

Post by rossreno »

Bishop Castillo bran Calderon ward Ecuador

Return to “General Discussions”