How do you use social networking site?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

In Brazil, Google's Orkut (www.orkut.com) is the greatest hit in social networking. Facebook, Myspace and Windows Live Spaces is most in use too. I have all my Church contacts at my Orkut profile. With new improvements, I like more Orkut now than before. To us in Brazil (I believe), Facebook and Myspace are new because of language translations to Portuguese are new features.
SingerGuy

Post by SingerGuy »

I use LinkedIn for professional contacts, and Facebook for family and friends. I have a MySpace page, but that's just so I can be a friend to my kids and can then see what they are posting online and what their friends are saying to them.
telfordca wrote:Does anyone use LDS.net?
<Going to check it out now.>
iPosty-p40

Use of Social Networks

Post by iPosty-p40 »

I belong to several. Usually because friends/colleagues of mine use different things. Some of them I use rather anonymously for internet content/blogging because the Internet isn't always a friendly place. Others I use for professional networking, and others for social purposes.. keeping up with old friends etc.

It's quite a chore keeping up with 5 or more different accounts.. I think the technology is still nascent and we'll see some partnering/convergence yet.
iPosty-p40

Post by iPosty-p40 »

MorettiDP wrote:In Brazil, Google's Orkut (www.orkut.com) is the greatest hit in social networking. Facebook, Myspace and Windows Live Spaces is most in use too. I have all my Church contacts at my Orkut profile. With new improvements, I like more Orkut now than before. To us in Brazil (I believe), Facebook and Myspace are new because of language translations to Portuguese are new features.
I use Orkut to keep up with many of my friends/contacts from my mission in Brazil.. I was very surprised that some people that didn't have a phone when I was there in 91-93 now have ready access to computers and have active Orkut pages.

If you want evidence that the Lord is helping push technology and communications around the globe.. look no further. It's amazing.
iPosty-p40

Post by iPosty-p40 »

telfordca wrote:Does anyone use LDS.net?
I created an account tonight after seeing your post. Looks a little busy/cumbersome to me, but I'll play with it.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

iPosty wrote:I use Orkut to keep up with many of my friends/contacts from my mission in Brazil.. I was very surprised that some people that didn't have a phone when I was there in 91-93 now have ready access to computers and have active Orkut pages.

If you want evidence that the Lord is helping push technology and communications around the globe.. look no further. It's amazing.

I birth in 1986. I can see my country in change. Since 1991 many things changed. The Lord is blessing Brazil more day by day. I am so grateful for it!
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Facebook

Post by kennethjorgensen »

I now use Facebook (finally caved in) for non business stuff and I do agree with many of the concerns about these sites but the great thing is that it is US who control how much or how little we want to share with everyone and the amount of time we spend on it.

I simply dont have the time or see the point in daily posting messages of my mood as well as sending the hugs and kisses regularly but because I dont live close to many of my friends and relatives then this provides a good way to communicate with them through both text and pictures.

Personally I have found both lost friends and lost family members through this so I have to admit my view on Facebook is now much more positive.

Return to “General Discussions”