lds.org study notebook api?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
packrd
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 1:11 pm

lds.org study notebook api?

Postby packrd » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:11 pm

does the lds.org study notebook have an API we can use?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: lds.org study notebook api?

Postby aebrown » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:27 pm

No.

harleypig
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:50 am

Re: lds.org study notebook api?

Postby harleypig » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:57 am

What an amazingly terse and succinct answer! :D

Are there any plans to make an api available? Having lost my notes and annotations once, I am now double entering them. First into my own notebook, then copying them into the relevant online study notebook. It's a royal pain.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: lds.org study notebook api?

Postby aebrown » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:39 am

harleypig wrote:What an amazingly terse and succinct answer! :D

Are there any plans to make an api available? Having lost my notes and annotations once, I am now double entering them. First into my own notebook, then copying them into the relevant online study notebook. It's a royal pain.

I don't know, and I doubt that anyone that knows will happen across this discussion.

But since such an API would involve LDS Account authentication, I would think it is highly unlikely that such an API would be released to the public in any way. Previous inquiries along those lines have always received a response that LDS Account authentication is only for official Church applications, not for third-party applications.

packrd
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: lds.org study notebook api?

Postby packrd » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:49 am

aebrown wrote:
harleypig wrote:What an amazingly terse and succinct answer! :D

Are there any plans to make an api available? Having lost my notes and annotations once, I am now double entering them. First into my own notebook, then copying them into the relevant online study notebook. It's a royal pain.

I don't know, and I doubt that anyone that knows will happen across this discussion.

But since such an API would involve LDS Account authentication, I would think it is highly unlikely that such an API would be released to the public in any way. Previous inquiries along those lines have always received a response that LDS Account authentication is only for official Church applications, not for third-party applications.


Familysearch uses LDS account logins and has 3rd party API's (3rd party's basically have to use oauth or its like to authenticate with their LDS account to use the API).

eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 2030
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: lds.org study notebook api?

Postby eblood66 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:30 am

packrd wrote:
aebrown wrote:
harleypig wrote:What an amazingly terse and succinct answer! :D

Are there any plans to make an api available? Having lost my notes and annotations once, I am now double entering them. First into my own notebook, then copying them into the relevant online study notebook. It's a royal pain.

I don't know, and I doubt that anyone that knows will happen across this discussion.

But since such an API would involve LDS Account authentication, I would think it is highly unlikely that such an API would be released to the public in any way. Previous inquiries along those lines have always received a response that LDS Account authentication is only for official Church applications, not for third-party applications.


Familysearch uses LDS account logins and has 3rd party API's (3rd party's basically have to use oauth or its like to authenticate with their LDS account to use the API).

True but unless I"m mistaken any applications using those APIs must go through an approval process so even those API aren't generally available.

However, backup/transfer of notes is a valid concern. I expect some sort of export/import facility would be a more likely alternative. The best way to request an enhancement is by using the Feedback link on any lds.org page where it shows up.


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest