audio recording in sacrament meeting?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: audio recording in sacrament meeting?

Post by russellhltn »

So far no one has been able to pull a quote that says it's prohibited. (It is prohibited if you have a visiting GA.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Horacemann

Post by Horacemann »

Handbook 2 - 21.1.26
Members with disabilities

"If a person cannot participate in a meeting, class, or activity, leaders and teachers may consult with the family about how to meet his or her needs. The stake president or bishop may approve organizing special classes or programs for members with disabilities (see “Organizing Special Classes, Programs, or Units” below). If a person is not able to attend Church meetings, printed materials or recordings of lessons and talks may be provided."
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Out ward has a lot of "shut-ins". With Stake Presidency approval, we have installed a separate "line-out" feed to a computer that digitally records the sacrament meeting.
We do the same thing (Priests take a CD, Program of Services and provide the sacrament) for our home bound members, only we use the assisted hearing receiver as our audio source for recording.

It's much smaller and more portable.

In our case, we plug it into a laptop (for it's CD burner), and it allows me to set up in the library for unattended recording. Then following Sacrament meeting, I'll simply crop out the portion of the meeting before the talks and quickly add chapters for each speaker before burning.

The process takes about 15 minutes and I usually am done in time to attend a portion of the Gospel Doctrine class .
munaish

Post by munaish »

When I was a child (in the 80's and/or 90's), there was a person who couldn't make it to church due to disability or some such, and whoever was in charge just had someone tape-record the meeting (on an audio-cassette), and let them listen to it after church. No one else missed any meetings. (I don't think the time of day has to be in sync with the regular meeting, personally, although a scheduled time might be nice.) I think they recorded over it every week (so I don't believe it was preserved). You could still do that, actually (no need to deal with CDs, streaming and computers). Very cost-effective, and not particularly time-consuming. Although you can digitize audio-cassette's, not everyone is going to know how to do it, or have the equipment to do it (but lots of people will with CDs, and there is software and hardware to record streams). So, the risk of problematic distribution is less.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The equipment is still available in most meetinghouses. Or new church in 2012 came with an audio recorder, both CD and tape
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:The equipment is still available in most meetinghouses. Or new church in 2012 came with an audio recorder, both CD and tape
And a jack to plug it into.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danamfallentine

Post by danamfallentine »

I understand that recording or photographing sacrament meeting is not allowed. What about a Christmas program, or musical fireside that is taking place in the chapel? I wish we had a Conference Center in So Cal,
because I know that they are allowed to take photos there...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

danamfallentine wrote:I understand that recording or photographing sacrament meeting is not allowed.
Just to be clear, it's video recording that's prohibited, not audio recording. There's no language limiting that prohibition to only certain meetings.

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

danamfallentine wrote:I understand that recording or photographing sacrament meeting is not allowed. What about a Christmas program, or musical fireside that is taking place in the chapel?
When recording music, things get more complicated. If you want to distribute a recording of the music (for example, making a CD for ward members), you'll need to get a mechanical or synchronization license (permission from the song's copyright owners). At least that's the requirement in the United States.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “General Discussions”