Baptism clothing and temple clothing

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
dsgunn130908

Baptism clothing and temple clothing

Post by dsgunn130908 »

Hi all

Can you please claify this please can you wear a temple dress for a baptism dress and temple trousers for a baptism as well, i always understood they had to be 2 different dresses and trousers etc
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

"Dressed in White" is the requirement for baptism. Therefore temple clothes are acceptable.

However, being baptized in a dress can be problematic as it tends to float. White jumpsuits are more practical and are usually available through the missionaries or most stakes also have a supply. Ask around a bit. :)
dsgunn130908

Post by dsgunn130908 »

I understsnd that but once your dress has been used as a temple dress it cant be used as a baptism dress vice versa
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dsgunn130908 wrote:I understsnd that but once your dress has been used as a temple dress it cant be used as a baptism dress vice versa
I've never seen such a policy. If you can't find a published policy on this topic, it sounds like a rumor or local tradition to me.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dsgunn130908

Post by dsgunn130908 »

Ok thanks i just find it funny you have to be endowned oe have a reccomend to buy s trmple dress not baptism thsts why you have to have different. Men cant use there temple trousers for baptisms
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

I use my temple pants for baptisms all the time. I use my white shirts for the temple, baptisms, and Church.

I agree with aebrown: Sound like you have some local traditions or rumors going on: You don't need a temple recommend to buy a temple dress. Perhaps through the distribution system, I don't know. But there are stores all over Utah where you can buy temple dresses and white pants for the temple.

The other temple clothes and garments? Yes. you need a recommend for those. But not temple dresses and white pants.

Try googling "temple dresses" and see what I mean...
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

I also wear the same trousers I use in the temple for baptisms. I also wear the same white shirt for the temple that I wear for church. In fact when I go to the temple the white shirt I'm wearing when I walk through the door is the same one I wear through out the temple. I don't know of any requirement to have a recommend to purchase a dress through distribution.

As far as dresses for baptism. My girls all wore dresses to be baptized in and it was no problem as long as the font was full. To keep them from floating all you do is splash water up on the skirt, or squat down once your in the font to get the dress wet to the wast. Its the air pockets you have to worry about and getting the dress wet helps. Another thing that helps is to tuck the front of the dress between the knees so it can''t float up.
jaj78

Post by jaj78 »

A personal choice, guided by local tradition.

I once heard someone say that they have a white button up shirt that they only wear in the temple. Therefore they distinguish between "street clothes" and "temple clothes." I, for one, don't consider my white shirt as everyday wardrobe, so I don't adhere to that thought.

On the other hand, when I was an ordinance worker in Provo, we were advised not to wear our white suits and shoes into/out of the temple for our commute.

The only guidance I have ever read is on the color and design of temple whites. How you accomplish that is up to you. If I worked in a kitchen where my uniform was white pants and white shirt, I probably wouldn't double-task that set of clothes for the temple. But baptismal ordinances and temple ordinances seem an appropriate extension for a set of white trousers.
orremi

Re:

Post by orremi »

dsgunn130908 wrote:Ok thanks i just find it funny you have to be endowned oe have a reccomend to buy s trmple dress not baptism thsts why you have to have different. Men cant use there temple trousers for baptisms
You don’t have to be endowed to buy a white temple dress. You don’t have to have a reccomend either. You only need to show your full use reccomend when buying articles of clothing relating to the temple ceremony (such as garments or ceremonial clothing). I just went and bought a temple dress-you don’t need a reccomend for it. ❤️
Perfectpaul

Re: Baptism clothing and temple clothing

Post by Perfectpaul »

Please can I sew my own baptismal clothing that have a picture of Christ's baptism in the front as a full-time missionary?

Return to “General Discussions”