json access to lds member information

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jolivier23

json access to lds member information

Post by jolivier23 »

Hi,

I wrote a simple python script a few months ago for tracking our talk assignments. The script used the json capabilities for lds.org to synchronize my list with lds.org (ie. to add and delete members as they move in/out). I also retrieved the age through the membership-record card. This was useful in order to separate the youth talk list from the adult talk list. It was working but I recently tried to update my list and I can no longer access the membership-record. I am a first counselor in my Bishopric. I expect this script would no longer work after I am released but I figured I could pass it along to the next counselor or Bishop.

Anyway, if this is no longer allowed, that is fine. However, it seems that there has to be an alternate way to do it because my lds tools on my iPhone has age information.

Any ideas? Has anyone else done something like this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

By policy 3rd party programs are prohibited from accessing membership data. See Third party API for gospel content.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jolivier23 wrote:Anyway, if this is no longer allowed, that is fine. However, it seems that there has to be an alternate way to do it because my lds tools on my iPhone has age information.

According to policy, this was not allowed when you wrote it. The policy has not been very well communicated, in my opinion, but nonetheless in the Third-party API for gospel content article we read:
Note that this API access to the Church’s content will not extend to membership data. Membership data is always private and never integrated through APIs. Additionally, third-party developers are restricted from using LDS Account, which could give access to membership data. This restriction protects the privacy of membership data (a legal requirement in many countries) and safeguards how membership data is viewed and used.
That wording is a bit misleading; obviously membership data is communicated through APIs in applications such as LDS Tools. But nevertheless, it is quite clear that these APIs are to be used only in applications written by (or under the direction of) the Church, and are not to be used by third parties.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jolivier23

Post by jolivier23 »

You are definitely right in that the rules are not well communicated.

Any chance there will be an "official" effort on this front? It was extremely useful for organizing our lists to be able to keep track of moves and to keep track of who has spoken and when. It is obvious that this data could be used to facilitate the work of leaders in wards throughout the world. I guess I will have to return to the stone age and use a spreadsheet

Return to “General Discussions”