Use of Meetinghouse for Homeschool Activities

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
mwgrover

Use of Meetinghouse for Homeschool Activities

Postby mwgrover » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Within the two wards that meet in our building, there are several families who homeschool their children. They would like to use the building on an occasional basis - maybe once per quarter - for a combined activity for their children.

At some point, I thought I remembered reading a guideline that stated that our meetinghouses were not to be used for homeschool activities. However, I have searched both Handbook 1 and 2 and on lds.org and in this forum and cannot find anything like that. Just wondering if anyone knows if these would be approved activities or not. It seems like I remember it being not approved due to concerns about tax-exempt status, etc.

Thanks.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Using Google I found the following: From the FM Guidelines 2011, page 3:
While the Church strongly encourages education, meetinghouses should not be used as home school or day care facilities or for hosting home school activities. Adherence to this policy will promote safety and avoid tax liabilities for the Church.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

mwgrover

Postby mwgrover » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:03 pm

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Amoraroca

Re: Use of Meetinghouse for Homeschool Activities

Postby Amoraroca » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:22 am

If the homeschool does not charge any to it's participants, Taxes are not a an issue, in most states. How is it any less safe than kids coming in the building with their families for any other activity, since homeschool parents stay with their kids? Some homeschool groups do charge, but they usually do that to pay for a building.
Daycare's I totally understand, but homeschools are 100% different than daycare's or even regular schools.
Here in Ky. homeschools are often an only option for people who cannot afford private school. So allowing homeschools in, can be helping those who often are struggling financially, emotionally, and around here LDS churche's are THE ONLY churches who do not allow homeschools in. It makes us look like rich "to good for you" people.
I could guarantee getting 20 Non-members walking through the doors of the church each week, if I was allowed to organize a homeschool group there. Or I have to go and asks other churches to allow me to use their buildings. What am I suppose to tell them when they ask me what church I go to, and why they will not allow homeschool groups? I want to protect the church, but I will be honest, as tactfully as I can.
Or I can join a different homeschool group in my area and sign a "Faith Creed" Saying things I don't 100% feel demonstrate a good understanding of God.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Use of Meetinghouse for Homeschool Activities

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:00 pm

This is primarily a user-to-user support forum. There are no decision-makers here. As far as this forum is concerned, it's against policy.

To get a better explanation or seek an exception to the policy, you'll need to talk to your stake president about taking the issue up with the area authority.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

Return to “General Discussions”