Use of Meetinghouse for Homeschool Activities

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
mwgrover

Use of Meetinghouse for Homeschool Activities

Postby mwgrover » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Within the two wards that meet in our building, there are several families who homeschool their children. They would like to use the building on an occasional basis - maybe once per quarter - for a combined activity for their children.

At some point, I thought I remembered reading a guideline that stated that our meetinghouses were not to be used for homeschool activities. However, I have searched both Handbook 1 and 2 and on lds.org and in this forum and cannot find anything like that. Just wondering if anyone knows if these would be approved activities or not. It seems like I remember it being not approved due to concerns about tax-exempt status, etc.

Thanks.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Using Google I found the following: From the FM Guidelines 2011, page 3:
While the Church strongly encourages education, meetinghouses should not be used as home school or day care facilities or for hosting home school activities. Adherence to this policy will promote safety and avoid tax liabilities for the Church.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

mwgrover

Postby mwgrover » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:03 pm

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Return to “General Discussions”