Import Ward Directory into OS X Address Book (and iPhone)

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

mkmurray wrote:So is the MLS export better to have than the LUWS export if you can get it?

Also, can you import contacts directly into the iPhone without going through syncing with Outlook or another email contact system?
So I think I might use Windows Contacts somehow...

But I still need the question answered whether it is best to use the MLS export (and which one) or the LUWS export?

Thanks in advance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:But I still need the question answered whether it is best to use the MLS export (and which one) or the LUWS export?
I don't know of a definitive answer, but I can think of one factor. MLS is complete. LUWS may have had information or even complete families removed according to their wishes on privacy.

As far as information, most of LUWS's data comes from MLS. The only exception I can think of is the email address.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:As far as information, most of LUWS's data comes from MLS. The only exception I can think of is the email address.
And I believe the Preferred Name is also not being pulled from MLS (yet).
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:I don't know of a definitive answer, but I can think of one factor. MLS is complete. LUWS may have had information or even complete families removed according to their wishes on privacy.

As far as information, most of LUWS's data comes from MLS. The only exception I can think of is the email address.
And the MLS export that you would want is the Membership export?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

mkmurray wrote:And the MLS export that you would want is the Membership export?
Or is it perhaps one of the Palm Household or Palm Individual exports?
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

mkmurray wrote:Or is it perhaps one of the Palm Household or Palm Individual exports?

I actually don't use these files for populating any kind of contact manager, phone or PDA. But I think either of these files are what you want and could be made to work, depending on whether you want your records organized by family or person. I think the corresponding vCard files would also work if your app reads those.

Membership.csv is a flat file for general-purpose processing. If your app allows you to map the fields you want for import, I guess it could be done. Be aware that this file includes some pretty sensitive and confidential fields, which cannot be suppressed at export-time.

At the time the Palm/vCard files are being exported, the user can customize some fields for inclusion/exclusion.
opee

Post by opee »

The MLS export has a lot more information on the vCard than the LUWS export. You have the same address information as the LUWS, but MLS will also include the preferred name, birthday, age, priesthood, full name, and membership number for each household member in each record. LUWS does not have that information.

To open the vCard on a PC, you need a program that can read the whole set of records--using Outlook will only allow you to see the first record. I have found some commercial packages that allow me to "unzip" the vCard file directly into Outlook, but have not found a freeware package that does. Anyone know of a good one?

So, if you want more information on your contacts (as a Clerk you might), then I would use the MLS export of vCard. If you don't care for the extra stuff, then use the LUWS.

I have also used the membership.csv to import into my calendar before vCard records. It adds a few steps because you have to map certain fields, but you can also get more information from the membership.csv than you get from the Palm files.

Hope that answers your question.
mprusse

vCards into Mac Address Book

Post by mprusse »

zaneclark wrote:I have been using the LUWS to export vcards to my Mac OS address book for over a year and the data has always separated nicely into the proper fields.... Am I doing something wrong?:)
The times I have imported the LUWS vCard into my Mac OS X Address Book it appears to import into the proper fields just fine. However, upon further examination, when you click on Edit in the Address Book I discovered that the City, State & Zip information were all entered into the City field leaving the State & Zip fields empty. Without going into Edit mode you may not notice this.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

macsense wrote:The times I have imported the LUWS vCard into my Mac OS X Address Book it appears to import into the proper fields just fine. However, upon further examination, when you click on Edit in the Address Book I discovered that the City, State & Zip information were all entered into the City field leaving the State & Zip fields empty. Without going into Edit mode you may not notice this.
I tried this using the edit mode and still have all the data in separate fields.... Are you sure you are using a real Mac?:D
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

I think I'm going to go with LUWS because I want the photos now in my Contacts.
opee wrote:To open the vCard on a PC, you need a program that can read the whole set of records--using Outlook will only allow you to see the first record. I have found some commercial packages that allow me to "unzip" the vCard file directly into Outlook, but have not found a freeware package that does. Anyone know of a good one?
I found a guy's blog post with a VBScript that I think will do the job. He also has another script that helps get a vCard with an embedded photo into Outlook. I am personally trying to write a program that will embed ward photos into the vCard export that exists in LUWS right now. All of the details are here:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.ph ... #post17988

Return to “General Discussions”