Fathers Blessings

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
JamesRowley

Fathers Blessings

Post by JamesRowley »

I had a question posed to me about who can accompany in a Fathers Blessing for children returning to school.

"Can a Priest age (16-18) young man stand in on a fathers blessing(s)?"

In HB 2, 8.1.1 it says: "When authorized by the bishop, he performs baptisms, confers the Aaronic Priesthood, and ordains deacons, teachers, and priests (see D&C 20:46, 48).

In section 20.8 it says "...one or more Melchizedek Priesthood holders..."

Thanks for your input

Jim
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jamesrowley wrote:"Can a Priest age (16-18) young man stand in on a fathers blessing(s)?"
I see nothing that justifies the idea. I don't see anything in 8.1.1 that allows him to do anything beyond the limited ordinances stated.

The "...one or more Melchizedek Priesthood holders..." in 20.8 is there because it's covering both Father's blessing (which is typically just the father) and "blessing of comfort and counsel" (which may have more then one Melchizedek Priesthood holder). Nothing there about allowing a non-Melchizedek Priesthood holders.

The first part of that section indicates that the father in question must hold the Melchizedek Priesthood to give a father's blessing. So if a father who is a Priest can't participate with a Melchizedek Priesthood holder, then I can't see how any Priest could participate.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

When a blessing or ordinance requires the Melchizedek Priesthood, only those who hold the higher priesthood stand in the circle. When a high priest is being ordained, only those who are high priests stand in the circle.

A priest baptizes, confers the Aaronic Priesthood, and ordains deacons, teachers, and priests by the authority of his Aaronic Priesthood. But because he does not hold the Melchizedek Priesthood, he cannot confirm a member after baptism. That requires the Melchizedek Priesthood.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Now, the Aaronic Priesthood does hold the keys to the "ministering of angels", but I don't think that's done by the laying on of hands. I'd recommend a deeper study of the scriptures for that as I don't think that's in the handbooks.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I would suggest that this father speak to the Bishop about his questions, the actual question seems to be a way of trying to justify in his own mind something that doesn't quit sit well with him. There are periods of our mortal existence when the Priesthood didn't seem to have as formal a separation as it does today. When acting in the saving ordinances the form, is critical and can be shown through handbook definitions, and tradition etc... It is my observation, however, that this isn't always the case in other Priesthood functions.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

jamesrowley wrote:I had a question posed to me about who can accompany in a Fathers Blessing for children returning to school.

"Can a Priest age (16-18) young man stand in on a fathers blessing(s)?"

In HB 2, 8.1.1 it says: "When authorized by the bishop, he performs baptisms, confers the Aaronic Priesthood, and ordains deacons, teachers, and priests (see D&C 20:46, 48).

In section 20.8 it says "...one or more Melchizedek Priesthood holders..."

Thanks for your input

Jim

One thing I have seen done occasionally when there is some desire to *include* a non-Melchizedek Priesthood holder is that the person acting as voice performs the blessing by virtue of the priesthood held specifically by the person acting as voice. That is, the only one giving a blessing is the one speaking, and there happens to be others in very close proximity. Handbook 2, 20.1.1 seems to directly contravene that approach, though. To my knowledge, no one else stands in on a father's blessing, seeing as only one person is the father.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

allenjpl wrote:One thing I have seen done occasionally when there is some desire to *include* a non-Melchizedek Priesthood holder is that the person acting as voice performs the blessing by virtue of the priesthood held specifically by the person acting as voice. That is, the only one giving a blessing is the one speaking, and there happens to be others in very close proximity. Handbook 2, 20.1.1 seems to directly contravene that approach, though.

Indeed, the first sentence seems quite definitive: "Only brethren who hold the necessary priesthood and are worthy may perform an ordinance or blessing or stand in the circle."

The rest of that section tries to set guidelines as to who should be included (family) while limiting the size of the circle. But I see nothing that overrides the word "only".

I do remember a time where I was seeing the same thing. But it stopped some time ago.

Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Section 2.8 is quit clear on this matter. The person preforming the blessing and those participarting must be Melchizedek Priesthood holders.

20.8 Father’s Blessings and Other Blessings of Comfort and Counsel

Father’s blessings and other priesthood blessings are given to provide direction and comfort as guided by the Spirit.

A father who holds the Melchizedek Priesthood may give father’s blessings to his children. These blessings may be especially helpful when children go to school, go on missions, get married, enter military service, or face special challenges. A family may record a father’s blessing for family records, but these blessings are not preserved in Church records. Parents should encourage their children to seek father’s blessings in times of need.

Melchizedek Priesthood holders may also give blessings of comfort and counsel to other family members and to others who ask for them.

To give a father’s blessing or another blessing of comfort and counsel, one or more Melchizedek Priesthood holders place their hands lightly on the person’s head. Then the priesthood holder who gives the blessing:
  • Calls the person by his or her full name.
  • States that the blessing is performed by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.
  • Gives words of blessing as the Spirit directs.
  • Closes in the name of Jesus Christ.
howick

Re: Fathers Blessings

Post by howick »

This is an old thread, but I wanted to share an experience that demonstrates when the Spirit will permit flexibility.

Nearly 30 years ago my wife and I served as Young Single Adult counselors. We developed excellent relationships with the young adults, both active and inactive. The younger sister of one was involved in an automobile accident that put her in the hospital with serious injuries. He and his siblings were active members. His mother was an active member. His father was not a member of the Church.

The family asked that I and my home teaching companion give a blessing of healing to the young sister. In a moment I will never forget, I was instructed by the Spirit to invite the father to join us in the circle (of the blessing, not the annointing).

Was that Church policy? No. But while general policy is certainly inspired and should be followed - it does not obligate the Lord or the Holy Ghost. The father was so moved by the opportunity to participate in the smallest way to express his faith for healing of a beloved and seriously injured daughter, that it led him to investigate and be baptized. Last I heard, he remained an active member of the Church.

Is this permission to generally do what I did? Absolutely not. The policies of the Church serve an important purpose (D&C 88:119), but among those purposes is the ability to receive the inspiration of the Spirit for the good and salvation of the Children of God (3 Ne 13:33). In fact, allow me to reinforce the idea that, barring the Holy Ghost saying otherwise, a son, regardless of what prieshood is held, cannot participate with his father in a father's blessing only for the simple reason that he is not the father of the person being blessed. If included, it changes the nature of the blessing to one of simple healing and comfort. Only fathers can give father's blessings, and while the prayers of faithful non-Melchezidek-priesthood fathers will be heard (2 Ne 26:15), it is only by virtue of the Melchizedek Priesthood that all blessings can be fully obtained.

Return to “General Discussions”