Sealing Cancelations

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.

Sealing Cancelations

Postby AlexCunning » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:23 pm

I was recently divorced and I am now thinking about remarrying someone in particular. I was wondering if there were any success stories on couples who were able to receive a cancelation in time to be sealed to their new spouse instead of going the route of a civil marriage first and a sealing later. It is really important for me to do it in this order. My ex husband left me and I had no part in wanting the divorce. If you have any other knowledge of the process I would really be pleased to hear it!

Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:33 pm

This is best discussed with your bishop. There may be information in Handbook 1, Stake Presidents and Bishops, [2010] as well as personal information that he may need to discuss with you.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

Postby gregwanderson » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:04 am

It all depends on your timing. I know a man who was married in the temple then was divorced a few years later. When he decided to marry again in the temple the engagement was about four-and-a-half months (and some of that time was spent obtaining the proper clearance from the First Presidency). I don't know if that's typical timing but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable wait to me. (It's just that, at first, they couldn't tell anyone their specific wedding date because they were waiting for the approval. Otherwise it seemed like a very typical engagement.) He did not have to have a civil marriage first with a sealing later. And, yes, he worked closely with his Bishop since before the divorce.

As stated, the Bishop is the one who can "get the ball rolling" on the necessary clearance so make your appointment right away.

Postby surf40 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:09 pm

There are several forms to fill out, that your bishop must start, and the Stake Pres will endorse and mail to SLC. Also, the bishop will need a letter from your ex asking his/hers feelings about the sealing cancelation. This may take some time getting this all together. (don’t fret of your ex writing negative things about you, I’ve never seen it affect the cancelation).
The actual time for the FP to approve can be just a few weeks. It use to take a long time, and people would get tired of waiting and just get married civilly. Things are much faster now if all the paper work is done properly. As bishop I once called the FP office about a cancelation, and where it was in the process, and the nice lady said she would see if she could hurry it along. I called back a few days later and she said it was approved and in the mail!

Return to “General Discussions”