E-Scriptures

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
hoppyfrog3

E-Scriptures

Post by hoppyfrog3 »

Is there a church policy on using e-scriptures(such as Iphones, Andriods) I know that in my ward they are not permitted. Is this a SLC decision or a ward level decision?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

hoppyfrog3 wrote:Is there a church policy on using e-scriptures(such as Iphones, Andriods) I know that in my ward they are not permitted. Is this a SLC decision or a ward level decision?

Never heard of such a thing. Sounds like a ward-level decision.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jasonponce

Post by jasonponce »

You are not "permitted" to use e-scriptures, which are published by the church, in church? I am sorry, but that just sounds wrong. I know that in our ward people do it all of the time. One of our Bishopric members uses them and we have many older members that use them on ether a tablet or a phone so that they do not have to carry heavy scriptures around with them, plus they can adjust the text size. Everyone just need to make sure that they put their phone on vibrate.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In some of the clerk threads, it's been mentioned that they might want to cut down the number of manuals ordered since some members are now using electronic.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I remember vaguely a request that when reading from scriptures over the pulpit that regular bound versions be used, rather than electronic ones. I'm sorry, I wish I knew the reference from where I heard that. Perhaps this is what hoppyfrog3 was referring to.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

hoppyfrog3 wrote:Is there a church policy on using e-scriptures(such as Iphones, Andriods) I know that in my ward they are not permitted. Is this a SLC decision or a ward level decision?
I've heard of two stakes (one is where a good friend lives) where members are not permitted to use electronics at all. Apparently the stake presidents felt strongly that electronics were a significant distraction, and so the members in those stakes use good old paper for scriptures and lesson manuals. That's totally within the stake president's authority to decide, as I see it. I see the tremendous benefits of electronic scriptures and manuals, but I've certainly seen plenty of misuse of electronic devices in meetinghouses as well.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote:I remember vaguely a request that when reading from scriptures over the pulpit that regular bound versions be used, rather than electronic ones. I'm sorry, I wish I knew the reference from where I heard that. Perhaps this is what hoppyfrog3 was referring to.

I believe this would be a local matter. In a stake conference priesthood leadership meeting, an apostle visiting our stake once told us to get out our PDAs, laptops, iPads, or whatever else we were using for scriptures. He said that paper copies were also acceptable.

The first use of electronics at the pulpit I saw was by a youth speaker. He carefully placed an iPad on the pulpit, gave his talk, then quietly took it with him as he sat down. It was no more distracting than someone getting up with talk notes written on paper.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

aebrown wrote:I've heard of two stakes (one is where a good friend lives) where members are not permitted to use electronics at all. Apparently the stake presidents felt strongly that electronics were a significant distraction, and so the members in those stakes use good old paper for scriptures and lesson manuals. That's totally within the stake president's authority to decide, as I see it. I see the tremendous benefits of electronic scriptures and manuals, but I've certainly seen plenty of misuse of electronic devices in meetinghouses as well.
I suppose I could see this kind of a ban in class settings where electronic scriptures are a distraction to others; however, in general meetings it is simply unenforceable.

We teach correct principles and allow members to govern themselves. The proper use of electronics during church meetings is no different.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nbflint wrote:I suppose I could see this kind of a ban in class settings where electronic scriptures are a distraction to others; however, in general meetings it is simply unenforceable.

We teach correct principles and allow members to govern themselves. The proper use of electronics during church meetings is no different.
All sorts of things that leaders ask us to do are not enforceable. My family has been asked to hold family home evening, but that can't be enforced.

I believe these stake presidents strongly feel that they are teaching correct principles. So while I'm personally happy that my stake president has not made a similar decision, if he did, I would support his decision 100%, regardless of whether he could enforce it.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

I'm not sure how I'd feel being told that I couldn't use my preferred method for referencing manuals, scriptures, etc. during class.

That being said, in a recent stake priesthood meeting, my stake president wore a lapel mic while down on the floor next to the white board, and carried his iPad around the room with him so members of the congregation could text him their questions as he taught. It worked very well as he seamlessly integrated his answers into the lesson.

Return to “General Discussions”