Home Teaching across Quorum/Group

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
tannerhd
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:16 pm

Home Teaching across Quorum/Group

Postby tannerhd » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Our stake president wants faithful priesthood holders, high priests and elders, paired up with less active/prospective elders. Some wards in attempting to do this have made PE's part of the high priest group which is not acceptable. Where can I find instructions on assigning home teaching companions across group/quorum and assigning families to them that may be in either group or quorum without making every individual and family involved part of the same priesthood group or quorum?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20735
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:31 pm

tannerhd wrote:Some wards in attempting to do this have made PE's part of the high priest group which is not acceptable.


You may want to read Handbook 2, 7.6.1.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14689
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:57 pm

tannerhd wrote: Where can I find instructions on assigning home teaching companions across group/quorum and assigning families to them that may be in either group or quorum without making every individual and family involved part of the same priesthood group or quorum?


Every district has to be assigned to a particular group/quorum. But within a district, you can have companionships who come from any quorum, and they can teach any household in the ward, regardless of the quorum/group affiliation of any members of that household. So there is no need to move members into different quorums/groups just because of home teaching reporting.

In our ward, we've had a HP paired with a PE in a district assigned to the Elders Quorum teaching a family with an Elder, and an Elder with a PE in a district assigned to the HP Group teaching a high priest. Those are clearly unusual, but there's no reason it can't be done. MLS certainly allows it. We've also had cases where a priesthood holder was in more than one companionship. That works, too. And no one had to be moved among quorums/groups just to accommodate these HT assignments that the bishop felt were important for the particular families being taught.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

tannerhd
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:16 pm

Postby tannerhd » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:34 am

Thank you aebrown, that is what I was looking for. The solution is with the HT function, not the quorum or group composition.

greggo
Member
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Paw Paw, MI, USA

Postby greggo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:44 am

aebrown wrote:you can have companionships who come from any quorum, and they can teach any household in the ward, regardless of the quorum/group affiliation of any members of that household. So there is no need to move members into different quorums/groups just because of home teaching reporting.

I just wanted to add that, in exceptional cases, even a husband and wife can be paired as a HT'ing companionship (Handbook 2, 7.4.2), and MLS allows it.

davesudweeks
Senior Member
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Owasso, OK, USA

Postby davesudweeks » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:21 am

greggo wrote:I just wanted to add that, in exceptional cases, even a husband and wife can be paired as a HT'ing companionship (Handbook 2, 7.4.2), and MLS allows it.


We have one or two that way in our ward. We have been strongly cautioned by our Stake President that, for our Stake, these should be rare cases with a specific reason (not just to make it more convenient to the Home Teachers) to have a husband/wife team assigned.

tannerhd
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:16 pm

Postby tannerhd » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:19 pm

Thank you to all of those who responded with good info/counsel.


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest