Celiac disease

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jaj78

Post by jaj78 »

I guess it depends on the sensitivity of the ward members. Our ward has a couple of families with celiac, and we had tried using a single tray (the YM bring bread AND rice cakes) and targeting the assigned route, but the families kept moving where they sat. So now we have 4-5 pieces of rice cake in every tray with the bread. In our case, the contamination issues aren't very severe, so the rice and gluten in the same tray haven't been a problem.
crisa

Post by crisa »

We only have a couple of people in our ward with this issue. In our circumstance, the gluten free product is wrapped and placed on the tray with the other bread. The people who have this issue have also been asked to sit in the same location so that it can be placed on the same tray each time.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Celiac disease

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm glad bread is the only thing we have to worry about :)
http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/284225771.html
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

As a suggestion for another possible solution, my daughter is in a ward with quite a few gluten-intolerant folks. I believe they clean the trays each Sunday (3 wards share the building) and several members provide gluten-free bread for use in the sacrament (for the entire ward). My grandson has been on and off gluten (for a different reason) and my daughter takes a turn at bringing the gluten-free bread. The last time I attended her meetings, I think the bread was homemade. If it is important to the discussion, I will see her this weekend and can ask about the details.
MelissaRenee

Post by MelissaRenee »

My ward has a dedicated gluten free section (one "column" of short pews) and a dedicated gf tray. Standard procedures are that the gf bread is broken first, a napkin is placed over it and then the rest of the bread is broken. As far as I am aware, this system has worked well in a ward that has members that need to be completely gf (as in having a gf substitute touching regular bread could make them seriously ill). The bishopric reminds people of this from time to time during announcements.

I believe that the gf bread is kept in the freezer so the Aaronic Priesthood can just pull out the required number of pieces as gf bread is quite expensive.
lehrschallbrian

Post by lehrschallbrian »

We have a lady in our ward who makes our sacrament bread and it is gluten free for the entire ward.
silus99

Post by silus99 »

I appreciate everyone's comments as we too have about 5 with various levels of intolerance or diagnosed cases. Currently they bring their own bread. I have not wanted the liability of a Teacher bringing bread at the last minute and it is not gluten free. They place it on a tray and sit in the same seats each week, like many families in the Church.

My current concern in regards to cross contamination is the breaking of the bread. Right now those members bring their own small piece and the priests don't break it. I know in the handbook it talks about breaking the bread and I understand the requirement in emulation of what the Savior showed us as the proper procedure. So my question is if others have their priests break the gluten free portions, or do not due to concerns about cross contamination? I would like to make this as easy and reverent as possible and also not have members worried about taking the sacrament.

I will ask my Stake President for guidance, but wanted to hear more ideas or thoughts of how to best make the ordinance both sacred and safe.

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

silus99 wrote:So my question is if others have their priests break the gluten free portions, or do not due to concerns about cross contamination? I would like to make this as easy and reverent as possible and also not have members worried about taking the sacrament.

I will ask my Stake President for guidance, but wanted to hear more ideas or thoughts of how to best make the ordinance both sacred and safe.
Since we're only worried about cross-contamination in one direction, my thought is to have the priest wash their hands and break the gluten-free first.

I think the trick would be how to make sure that happens and how everyone knows that tray is the gluten-free tray. I think I'd try to make the tray different somehow. Perhaps a label on the handle.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
silus99

Post by silus99 »

russellhltn wrote:
silus99 wrote:So my question is if others have their priests break the gluten free portions, or do not due to concerns about cross contamination? I would like to make this as easy and reverent as possible and also not have members worried about taking the sacrament.

Since we're only worried about cross-contamination in one direction, my thought is to have the priest wash their hands and break the gluten-free first.

I think the trick would be how to make sure that happens and how everyone knows that tray is the gluten-free tray. I think I'd try to make the tray different somehow. Perhaps a label on the handle.
That is good advice. I will work on the finer points. Thanks!
BrentRTobler

Post by BrentRTobler »

This is a growing issue in our Ward. We've tried the dedicated tray, but that means one Deacon has to remember everyone on the list and then find them. If that Deacon is not in church that Sunday it's more of an issue as people get missed.

Additionally I've heard of a Ward using Rice Chex as a low cost GF substitute.

Anyone have any ideas or experience on how to effectively include GF sacrament where the number of GF individuals seems to be growing and individuals are scattered all over the chapel?

Thank you.

Return to “General Discussions”