Stake Endorsement of Newsletter

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Stake Endorsement of Newsletter

Post by russellhltn »

mschuda wrote:Stake Director of Communications
I'm curious about this calling. I can't find it in any handbook. If it's Public Affairs, they are oriented to "external" (community) communication The goals are quite different from the tools provided.

If the communication is internally oriented, then I'd add something about the ability to use calendar sync. I think what motivates people to create Facebook pages is to reach members without them having to log in somewhere else - the information flows to places the members normally visit. But done properly, the calendar sync can do that - flow events of interest to the member's own calendar. But of course that requires that unit calendars are set up with member subscriptions in mind and the calendar is actively used by the ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

mrrad wrote:
mschuda wrote: Websites, blogs, and social media profiles should not duplicate tools and features that are already available on LDS.org.
That's the really tricky part. The tools and features at LDS.org could be better utilized. I could probably make the argument that almost every website, blog or social media profile created (or maintained) under this new policy is actually just duplicating what could already be accomplished through LDS.org.
By a liberal interpretation, there are lots of tools and features on (for example) Facebook that the LDS.org tools don't have! :) For example, none of the LDS.org tools provide push notifications of ward events or the ability for members to comment and ask questions. But if your goal for (for example) a calendar is just to provide a list of events that someone can load the web page and go to, the LDS.org calendar does that.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

…and I don't think Facebook will ever duplicate the "feature" of LDS.org which requires you to enter your username and password every time you return to the site. :)

Return to “Newsletter”