Unable to Post Attachment to the Newsletter

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Unable to Post Attachment to the Newsletter

Post by aebrown »

smconvey wrote:
aebrown wrote:Another test would be to use the problematic text, but completely remove all the attachments. That will help you understand if the attachments are a relevant factor or only a distraction.
I've done that. I can successfully post the entire text, without any attachments.
smconvey wrote:I just tried creating an entry with one word of text and adding the attachment and it worked. However, when I add the text after the fact, I get the error. Perhaps the text is too long?
With other issues, it is often the case that the problem is not with creating, but with editing articles. In both of the above quoted posts, it's not clear that you tried creating and saving, then editing that article as is and saving, before adding more text or more attachments. Could you try that?
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

aebrown wrote:Also, if the text is not particularly sensitive you could post it here (or send it to me by private message). Then I could try it and see if the same text causes a problem, which would rule out anything connected to your unit or your environment.
It is not sensitive. I've attached screenshots to show you the format and look of the newsletter entry. Here is the text (some formatting was lost when I pasted here):

Online Tools As a stake, we will now exclusively utilize the online tools available at http://www.lds.org. A list of available tools is found at http://www.lds.org/tools, and includes the following: Notes and Journal, Calendar, Directory, Newsletter, Lesson Schedules, Maps, Mobile Application, Patriarchal Blessings: Request a copy. We encourage all members to obtain an LDS account and take advantage of these tools to enhance productivity in our wards and stake. Your Ward Website Administrator/Building Scheduler is available to assist you.

Online Calendar The online LDS calendar shows current events for your ward and stake. By regularly checking the calendar, you can stay updated about all the events and meetings going on at church. The calendar can be synchronized with your personal calendar on your PC, laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc. The online calendar is also available through the LDS Tools smartphone app. To access the calendar, do the following:

Go to http://www.lds.org.
Click on the “Sign In/Tools” link near the upper right side of the screen.
Select “Calendar” (any of the online tools can be selected from this drop-down menu).
You’ll be prompted to log in with your LDS Account. If you don’t have an LDS Account, click on the “Register for an LDS Account” link that is below the “Sign in” button.
The Calendar Help, a great resource for learning to use the calendar, provides instruction, video tutorials and quick reference guides.

Online Directory The online LDS directory shows contact and address information for the members in your ward and stake. You can see members with leadership callings, upload photos for your household, print a photo directory, get driving directions to members' houses, find contact information for missionaries in your ward, and more. The online directory is also available through the LDS Tools smartphone app. To access the directory, do the following:

Go to http://www.lds.org.
Click on the “Sign In/Tools” link near the upper right side of the screen.
Select “Directory”.
You’ll be prompted to log in with your LDS Account. If you don’t have an LDS Account, click on the “Register for an LDS Account” link that is below the “Sign in” button.
The Directory Help, a great resource for learning to use the directory, provides instructions for finding members, finding leaders,, managing photos, accessing from mobile devices, etc.

Online Lesson Schedules The Lesson Schedules tool shows you the schedules for all priesthood and auxiliary organizations, groups, and classes in your ward. You can use Lesson Schedules to view lesson topics for the classes you and your family attend. Lesson Schedules helps members know what lessons will be taught on Sundays so they can adequately prepare by reading the lesson material. Preparing beforehand can lead to a better learning and teaching experience. The Lesson Schedules Getting Started Guide provides a one-page basic introduction to Lesson Schedules. Currently, the Lesson Schedules tool cannot be accessed via the LDS Tools smartphone app, but may become available through this app in the future.

The Lesson schedules tool is available at the ward level only, not the stake. Lesson Schedules is intended to be administered by wards because ward leaders are closer to the classes taught in wards and may need to make adjustments based on fluctuating schedules, teachers, events, and special needs. Events in the stake may affect some wards but not others (for example, ward conference), and often the lesson schedules aren't uniform throughout the stake. Organization leaders, such as elders quorum presidents and Sunday School presidents, as well as their counselors and secretaries, have rights to add classes for their organization, but not events. Events refer to general conferences, stake conferences, ward conferences, holidays, and other events that affect the lesson schedule for a class. Only administrators can add events. Administrators for Lesson Schedules include bishoprics, clerks, executive secretaries, and ward website administrators. The Lesson Schedules Help provides more information on how to administer and use the Lesson Schedules tool.

Online General Church, Stake and Ward Information In the past there were a few pages at the front of the printed directory that contained important contact details and other general information. While much of this material is available online, we concluded that it would be extremely helpful to have the information posted in a single location where members can easily find it. Accordingly, this information is attached to this newsletter entry. The details will be updated periodically as changes occur. Please note that the Newsletter function is not yet available through the LDS Tools smartphone app.

Scheduling “Private Events” Private events include weddings, funerals, family reunions, etc. These events must not be placed on ward or stake calendars. To schedule a private event, do the following:

1. Find an available time for the building you desire to schedule:

a. Go to Calendar Help

b. From the menu on the left side of the screen, expand “Event Scheduling” and select “Scheduling Events”.

c. In the large window, scroll down, expand the topic “Check Location Availability”, and follow the instructions.

1. Email the applicable building scheduler:

a. Log into the calendar as described under “Online Calendar” above.

b. Near the lower left side of the calendar, under locations, select the drop-down arrow to the right of the building name, and select “Contact building scheduler”

c. Send an email to the building scheduler with the following information:

Event description:
Approximate number of participants:
Date:
Start Time:
End Time:
Additional setup time:
Additional cleanup time:
3. The Building Scheduler will seek approval from all the Bishops of that building.

4. The Building Scheduler will notify you with the Bishops’ decision.

5. If the event is is approved, the Building Scheduler will schedule the event in the “Private Events” calendar.

a. Events are typically scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. Therefore, until the event is scheduled in the “Private Events” calendar, it may be superseded by another event.
Attachments
Newsletter-1.PNG
Newsletter Part 1 of 3
(56.33 KiB) Downloaded 664 times
Newsletter-2.PNG
Newsletter Part 2 of 3
(52.12 KiB) Downloaded 664 times
Newsletter-3.PNG
Newsletter Part 3 of 3
(38.36 KiB) Downloaded 664 times
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Try changing "select" to a synonym like "choose." "Select" is a key word that sometimes has firewall problems.
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

sbradshaw wrote:Try changing "select" to a synonym like "choose." "Select" is a key word that sometimes has firewall problems.
I replaced the word "select" throughout and still got the same error.
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

aebrown wrote:With other issues, it is often the case that the problem is not with creating, but with editing articles. In both of the above quoted posts, it's not clear that you tried creating and saving, then editing that article as is and saving, before adding more text or more attachments. Could you try that?
I have tried creating, saving, and then editing many times and in many different combinations (e.g. create with attachment, then edit to add text; create with text, then edit to add attachment; etc. ). In all cases, I get the same error.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

smconvey wrote:I have tried creating, saving, and then editing many times and in many different combinations (e.g. create with attachment, then edit to add text; create with text, then edit to add attachment; etc. ). In all cases, I get the same error.
You just said that you always get the same error, but in earlier posts you noted that there are some cases where you save successfully without any error (in post #28 and #30).

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my question, but I was trying to ascertain whether in those cases where you did have successful saves, if you then did another edit without changing anything and then were able to save. Doing a second edit without changing anything will help sort out whether it's simply the second edit/save that causes the problem, or whether it is a particular change you made in the second edit that caused the problem.
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

aebrown wrote:You just said that you always get the same error, but in earlier posts you noted that there are some cases where you save successfully without any error (in post #28 and #30).

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my question, but I was trying to ascertain whether in those cases where you did have successful saves, if you then did another edit without changing anything and then were able to save. Doing a second edit without changing anything will help sort out whether it's simply the second edit/save that causes the problem, or whether it is a particular change you made in the second edit that caused the problem.
I see. I just edited and saved the entry in question (without making any changes) and I got the error. I also tried editing and saving a test entry that has only the attachment and one word of text "Test" in the Title and that same word in the body. When I edited and saved that entry (without making any changes), I didn't receive an error.
Danpeay

Post by Danpeay »

I am experiencing this problem again. I tried to attach a PDF, cancelled, and now I just get the "working" mouse cursor at all times in the Newsletter section. I deleted the Relief Society section and re-added. However, I am unable to add a PDF. I tried adding a prior PDF under 1MB with the same results. I have been admin for 6 years on this site, so I do have experience.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Danpeay wrote:I am experiencing this problem again. I tried to attach a PDF, cancelled, and now I just get the "working" mouse cursor at all times in the Newsletter section. I deleted the Relief Society section and re-added. However, I am unable to add a PDF. I tried adding a prior PDF under 1MB with the same results. I have been admin for 6 years on this site, so I do have experience.
It appears that there is a significant problem with the Newsletter application, as described in this post. It's certainly plausible that that broader problem also affects the posting of attachments. So my first guess is that what you are experiencing is not a recurrence of the problem originally discussed in this topic, but rather a side effect of a new problem. Watch the linked topic for updates; when that problem is fixed, test to see if your attachment problem has then been fixed as well.
mask

Post by mask »

I have a ward newsletter that I am unable to post. Adding the article is no problem, but attaching the PDF (1 MB) goes nowhere. We have done this before without problems, not being able to post for us is a new situation.

Return to “Newsletter”