Error Message Received Trying To Open An Attachment

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
clarksonpr

Error Message Received Trying To Open An Attachment

Post by clarksonpr »

I created and attached a PDF for a newsletter article. After saving it, to review the article I opened the attachment; it didn't open and I received the following google chrome error message. I deleted the article, shut down my computer, re-made the PDFs, and started over. Its happening again. What does it mean, and why won't the PDF open ? I have other articles with PDFs I've created and attached that are not difficult to open.
Duplicate headers received from server Google Chrome
The response from the server contained duplicate headers. This problem is generally the result of a misconfigured website or proxy. Only the website or proxy administrator can fix this issue.
Error 349 (net::ERR_RESPONSE_HEADERS_MULTIPLE_CONTENT_DISPOSITION): Multiple distinct Content-Disposition headers received. This is disallowed to protect against HTTP response splitting attacks.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Error Message Received Trying To Open An Attachment

Post by jdlessley »

Clear your browser cache and try again. If that isn't successful try checking the article and attachment on another browser.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
clarksonpr

Post by clarksonpr »

I manually Clear ALL Browser History options everyday in whatever browser servers I use before I shut down and turn off my computer. I cleared it again now and this isn't helping, I still get the error message below. I used Firefox and everything works fine. I use Chrome for everything without any issues; only this has a problem. I wasn't receiving the error message just a day ago when working the newsletter articles in Chrome. Can you explain to me what this error message means ? What are duplicate headers and a misconfigured proxy ? Who is the proxy administrator ? What is HTTP response splitting attacks ? . . .
Duplicate headers received from server Google Chrome
The response from the server contained duplicate headers. This problem is generally the result of a misconfigured website or proxy. Only the website or proxy administrator can fix this issue.
Error 349 (net::ERR_RESPONSE_HEADERS_MULTIPLE_CONTENT_DISPOSITION): Multiple distinct Content-Disposition headers received. This is disallowed to protect against HTTP response splitting attacks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

My guess is that the filename of your attachment contains a character that is causing a problem (see below for a technical description). For example, when I create an attachment that has a comma in the filename, I can duplicate this problem on Chrome every time. I'd recommend that you simplify your filename to have nothing but letters in it, then try again.

Now, for the technical details....

It appears that the HTTP Response Headers contain a header as follows:

Code: Select all

Content-Disposition:attachment; filename=myattachment.pdf
Note that the filename is not quoted. Note also that a comma is not a valid character in that header if it is not quoted; there are probably other characters that are invalid as well. Changing the filename to have a comma results in a header like:

Code: Select all

Content-Disposition:attachment; filename=my,attachment.pdf
... which will guarantee that Chrome will report the error described in the OP.
clarksonpr

Post by clarksonpr »

Hooray ! Problem Solved !
I deleted all my attachments then saved and logged out of lds.org
Then I renamed my pdf attachments 'without commas'. I re-opened the newsletter and attached my newly named pdf's. That did the trick !
Thanx Bunches

Return to “Newsletter”