Stake Announcements

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
Gary_Miller

Re: Stake Announcements

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:
Gary_Miller wrote:And member no matter where they are from have a right to use the building as long as it does not conflict with the event of the local units. Just saying.
Have a right? Can you find that in any policy manual? The best I can do is they "may" use the building.
Ok, maybe right was a bit strong. But as long as your a member of the church and there is room on the calendar. You should have use of the buildings no matter where they are located. Just Saying.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:and there is room on the calendar
And there's the rub. You end up with out-of-town people who may or may not leave the facility clean after a Saturday night event. Who may end up scheduling before the stake members, and may get bounced out for a ward event just a few months prior to their wedding day. I suspect our stake's rules came about after too many stressful, tearful, problems.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:You end up with out-of-town people who may or may not leave the facility clean after a Saturday night event.

While this may happen at time I would bet its an exception as the average member knows they have to clean up after themselves. So I see this as a weak argument.
russellhltn wrote:Who may end up scheduling before the stake members, and may get bounced out for a ward event just a few months prior to their wedding day. I suspect our stake's rules came about after too many stressful, tearful, problems.
If your running into these type of problems its an internal lack of planning issue with the wards in the stake. One way around this would be to only book events for out of stake units no earlier than three months out. That way the wards in the stake have more than enough time to schedule their events.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:
russellhltn wrote:You end up with out-of-town people who may or may not leave the facility clean after a Saturday night event.

While this may happen at time I would bet its an exception as the average member knows they have to clean up after themselves. So I see this as a weak argument.
Sadly, it is more the rule here, rather than the exception.

So we do not allow out of unit scheduling of the building unless there has been bishop to bishop contact, and a member of a unit in the building is available to oversee the activity.

If an out of unit member gets a good recommendation from their bishop, and we have someone available locally to open/close/check-in/followup, they may use the building if it is otherwise available.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Even our local BSA leaders don't clean up as well as they should, and they meet regularly in our meetinghouses.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Our new Stake Center is next to a new Temple, it is used all the time for out-of-unit events. We consulted with the Nauvoo Stake about how they work through this process and used some of their ideas and some of our own. We have required our stake and wards to book their events for the year, we give them a date and after that the calendar is fair game. We have a couple called that coordinate the events with units outside our stake. We communicate with them that if our stake has an ecclesiastical-related event it may take precedence and would assign them to the next closest meetinghouse (which isn't too inconvenient). The couple that works with the out-of-unit leaders opens the building and does a walk through after. Very little issues arise when you set expectations up front and follow-through with expectations.

Our Agent Unit is still responsible to work out issues in the building and the stake if there is a conflict or a desire to add/modify events, and that person works with our out-of-unit request coordinators.

So far it's worked out well, we've had Family Reunions, Weddings, Youth groups, regional meetings, etc...
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JohnShaw wrote:We have a couple called that coordinate the events with units outside our stake.
And that, I believe, is your key to success.

Return to “Newsletter”