Stake Announcements

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
drepouille

Re: Stake Announcements

Post by drepouille »

Gary_Miller wrote:Individuals from wards in your stake can book/schedule events in the stake center on their wards calendars even though they don't meet in the stake center. No need to have someone do it for them.
Ward leaders who have been given privileges to create events can do that, but not every member of those wards.
Gary_Miller wrote:This is an easy fix just make a restriction/reservation during the times the wards are suppose to have the building. A reservation will ensure no other ward or stake auxiliary can book an event.
Stake auxiliaries often ask me to create events for them. I try to politely decline, saying that since I am an administrator, I can create conflicting events for the same resources, so it would be better for them to create the events. The existing reservations for the wards that meet in the stake center should block their efforts to create events that conflict with the reservations. Another bonus to them creating the events is that their names get listed as the creator of the event, for all to see.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

My building scheduler for the stake center just sent me this message: "Just had a situation where out of town people did not confirm with bishop."

So out-of-town members thought they could use our stake center for a wedding reception without coordinating with the bishops in the stake center, and deconflicting schedules. That is why we need a building scheduler.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:So out-of-town members thought they could use our stake center for a wedding reception without coordinating with the bishops in the stake center, and deconflicting schedules. That is why we need a building scheduler.
Yes, you do need someone to handle private events. But the old model of ALL events going though a building scheduler doesn't really work (except maybe for a single-unit building.)

And just for reference - our stake only allows members of the stake to request use of the building. That may be due to the fact that we're a tourist town and the stake center is a historic building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

drepouille wrote:Ward leaders who have been given privileges to create events can do that, but not every member of those wards.
Just have the members contact the proper auxiliary leader to have items added to the auxiliaries calendar layer. If its a private event have them contact the person over that calendar layer.
drepouille wrote:Stake auxiliaries often ask me to create events for them.
Make sure they have the proper rights and tell them to do it themselves.
drepouille wrote:I try to politely decline, saying that since I am an administrator, I can create conflicting events for the same resources, so it would be better for them to create the events.
I don't know where you got this idea an administrator cannot create conflicting events for the same time and same resources.
drepouille wrote:The existing reservations for the wards that meet in the stake center should block their efforts to create events that conflict with the reservations.
Correct.
drepouille wrote:Another bonus to them creating the events is that their names get listed as the creator of the event, for all to see.
Until someone else comes along and edits the event.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

drepouille wrote:My building scheduler for the stake center just sent me this message: "Just had a situation where out of town people did not confirm with bishop."

So out-of-town members thought they could use our stake center for a wedding reception without coordinating with the bishops in the stake center, and deconflicting schedules. That is why we need a building scheduler.
Why do they need to confirm with the bishops. If the scheduler is given the responsibility of adding these events why don't they have the authority to just add the event as long as there is no conflicts.
Last edited by Gary_Miller on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

drepouille wrote:So out-of-town members thought they could use our stake center for a wedding reception without coordinating with the bishops in the stake center, and deconflicting schedules. That is why we need a building scheduler.
That example doesn't help me understand why you need a building scheduler. If someone has an actual event on the calendar that books the building, and everyone relies on the calendar as the system of record for scheduling the building, then there is no need to have a person do centralized scheduling. I don't know what it means to "deconflict" schedules when you have a system of record that prevents conflicts.

Of course, there's always the possibility of a higher priority event arising after the building has been booked, but that can always happen. In that case, the person who tries to create the later event will see that there is a conflict, and will see what the conflicting event is, and who scheduled it. Then you can work through the established process for working out the conflict, and that could be the role of the building scheduler. But that kind of thing requires the attention of the building scheduler maybe 1% of the time, not 100% of the time, if you follow a decentralized scheduling model.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:And just for reference - our stake only allows members of the stake to request use of the building. That may be due to the fact that we're a tourist town and the stake center is a historic building.
This is sad. While I realize the building was built for the primary use of the wards in the area, it was also built by the tithing dollars of all the members of the church. And member no matter where they are from have a right to use the building as long as it does not conflict with the event of the local units. Just saying.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:
drepouille wrote:I try to politely decline, saying that since I am an administrator, I can create conflicting events for the same resources, so it would be better for them to create the events.
I don't know where you got this idea an administrator cannot create conflicting events for the same time and same resources.
Someone with Building Scheduler rights can override Reservations without knowing it. Which brings up the subject of what a Reservation is for, but I didn't want to go there. But it's a concern even with valid use of the "Reservation" function. And he is trying to get the Auxiliaries to do it themselves.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:And member no matter where they are from have a right to use the building as long as it does not conflict with the event of the local units. Just saying.
Have a right? Can you find that in any policy manual? The best I can do is they "may" use the building.

Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:
Gary_Miller wrote:
Someone with Building Scheduler rights can override Reservations without knowing it.
Someone who is a Administrator with Building scheduler rights yes, but not just as an administrator.

This seems to be a problem as the building scheduler can only do it for the calendars in which he could have editor rights over. Such as their ward or the stake. Which serves no purpose in being able to solve conflicts. It also could cause problems if every ward in the building has a building scheduler as the schedulers could over ride each others reservations.
russellhltn wrote:Which brings up the subject of what a Reservation is for, but I didn't want to go there. But it's a concern even with valid use of the "Reservation" function.
Which has been discussed at length in other threads.
russellhltn wrote:And he is trying to get the Auxiliaries to do it themselves.
The best thing he can do is learn how to say "No, you will have to add it yourself or have someone in your auxiliary with editor rights add it for you."

Return to “Newsletter”