Unable to attach PDF

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
dtolputt

Re: Unable to attach PDF

Post by dtolputt »

I had lots of trouble also. Finally after chasing for some time I finally loaded a 2.2mb pdf but had to change the name to 8 characters with the pdf extension. The help file says 5mb is the largest file that can be loaded but says nothing about the name of the file.
thatvickigirl

Post by thatvickigirl »

Have you thought about just making it a google doc instead? If it is a large doc, put it on a cloud server and just allow access to those you want to have access. If you are okay with it it being public, you can do that to. We have writers who just post links in their articles instead of attachments.

If your PDF is just too large, this is a viable alternative.
dtolputt

Post by dtolputt »

Great idea - I will experiment with that idea. Most people in my stake have limited computer and internet experience so hence we have to keep it very basic.
dtolputt

Post by dtolputt »

I had success changing the name to 8.3 characters.
knealewj

Post by knealewj »

I had success changing the name to 8.3 characters.
I have a file that will not upload, despite trying every trick in this forum. Tried the 8.3 format (Penguin.pdf) and it still displays "Error: service unavailable" !!!!!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

knealewj wrote:I have a file that will not upload, despite trying every trick in this forum. Tried the 8.3 format (Penguin.pdf) and it still displays "Error: service unavailable" !!!!!
How big is the file? In addition to the file name, file size is also an issue than can produce that error.
knealewj

Post by knealewj »

How big is the file? In addition to the file name, file size is also an issue than can produce that error.
The file in question is 1.32MB in size. I have previously uploaded a pdf file sized 2.36MB, but I had to remove any spaces in its file name to upload... the same method does not work for this file.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

knealewj wrote:
The file in question is 1.32MB in size. I have previously uploaded a pdf file sized 2.36MB, but I had to remove any spaces in its file name to upload... the same method does not work for this file.
I've found the upload system to be erratic; sometimes it works fine on a 3MB file, and sometimes it chokes on a 1MB file. But then I try on a different day and I get different results. So aside from the flakiness getting fixed (which we all fervently hope for), my only remaining advice is to keep your nice simple filename and try it at different times of day. Maybe you'll get lucky.
sebown

Post by sebown »

Shouldn't this problem be listed in the "Know Limitations" section of the 'Newsletter Help" document? The documentation also needs to say the file name can not have spaces.

I was able to upload an 881KB file on the third or fourth try after I changed the file name to 8 characters plus a 3 character extension.

The file uploaded okay with a much longer file name that contained spaces. However when I downloaded the file, the file name was just the first word before the first space without a file extension.

Return to “Newsletter”