Page 1 of 1

Limits on number of attachments

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:49 pm
by ThomsonMA
The first thing I've tried to do with the newsletter is to post our Stake Emergency Preparedness Manual there. The bulk of the manual is in a collection of .pdf files (53 of them to be exact). I did this by creating a short explanatory newsletter article, and then tried to attach the .pdf files.

I seem to be having trouble getting them all attached. After about 41 attachments, the subsequent ones lose their names; they are listed only as "file" with no file type. This makes them problematic to use. Is there a limit to the number of attachments to an article?

Also, if a section of our manual is updated, I'd really like to be able to change an attachment while keeping its name and order in the list intact. Is there a way to replace an attachment?

Finally, is there a way to cause all attachments to be listed in sorted order? (I've named the various .pdf files with a consistent naming scheme: S<section#>-<item#>-name.pdf so that sorting the names will put them in the proper order.)

Thanks!

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:04 pm
by aebrown
ThomsonMA wrote:The first thing I've tried to do with the newsletter is to post our Stake Emergency Preparedness Manual there. The bulk of the manual is in a collection of .pdf files (53 of them to be exact). I did this by creating a short explanatory newsletter article, and then tried to attach the .pdf files.

I seem to be having trouble getting them all attached. After about 41 attachments, the subsequent ones lose their names; they are listed only as "file" with no file type. This makes them problematic to use. Is there a limit to the number of attachments to an article?


I don't know of any limit. I just successfully created an article with 100 attachments. They all retained their names.

How did you add the attachments? Did you drag and drop, or use the "Add Attachments" button? I used both techniques successfully, but perhaps that makes a difference in some cases.

ThomsonMA wrote:Also, if a section of our manual is updated, I'd really like to be able to change an attachment while keeping its name and order in the list intact. Is there a way to replace an attachment?


The only way to replace an attachment is to delete it and add it. Unfortunately, that will move it to the end of the list -- attachments are always displayed in the order they were added.

ThomsonMA wrote:Finally, is there a way to cause all attachments to be listed in sorted order? (I've named the various .pdf files with a consistent naming scheme: S<section#>-<item#>-name.pdf so that sorting the names will put them in the proper order.)


No. As I said above, they are simply displayed in the order they were added.

I think you have some good suggestions for improving the Newsletter; you might want to make those suggestions using the Submit Feedback link.

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:07 pm
by ThomsonMA
Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have used both the drop mode and the "add attachments" button, with the same results.

I've attached two screen shots, one in edit mode where I have just added four new files to the bottom of the list (attachments 42-45), but have not clicked the "save" button yet. The second screen shot is after the post was saved, I opened the item and expanded the list of attachments. As you can see, the last four items I just added are displayed as "file" rather than by their file names.

Is this a bug or am I missing something? I don't think there's anything weird about the file names.

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:16 pm
by ThomsonMA
Note that if I download one of these "file" documents and rename it to have a .pdf extention, that it is the correct file. Just the name was lost.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:53 pm
by ThomsonMA
Have any of the developers had a chance to look at this?

I still have the last 10 attachments showing up as "file" rather than the file name.

Thanks!

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:45 pm
by SorensonMi
We have not been able to duplicate this problem. Can you attach one of the files that is listed as "file" please?

thanks
Mindie

Sample document that gets uploaded as "file"

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:11 pm
by ThomsonMA
Here is one of the documents that ended up listed as "file". As noted, if I click on the name ("file") and download the attachment, and then rename it to have a .pdf extension, it will open correctly and each attachment named "file" is really different. All that appears wrong is that the name of the uploaded file is lost.

S09-02-8-UTAH DEPT. PUBLIC SAFETY0008.pdf
(764.42 KiB) Downloaded 254 times

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:35 pm
by ThomsonMA
I'd also be happy to provide a .zip file with all 53 of the attachments if that would be helpful.

Thanks!

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:37 pm
by ThomsonMA
Aha! I found the answer to my problem in another post: https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?13279-pdf-attachment-not-recognised

Every one of the last 12 attachments that I had end up as "file" had an embedded period, followed somewhere later by a space. When I renamed those attachments to eliminate the period, they all uploaded correctly with the proper names.