Better formatting options needed

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
shem.simmons

Re: Better formatting options needed

Post by shem.simmons »

Understandable, but I still think it's pretty unfortunate that the newsletter is being somewhat neglected. I'd be willing to wager more people would use it if they had more to work with than just the most basic of formatting options.
mevans

Post by mevans »

The sad thing is that the editor tool they used for the newsletter supports additional formatting, but they have been turned off. We don't know why this choice was made, but that's the way it is.

Actually, from what I've seen, push notifications would be more important to getting the newsletter used...then there would be more users to complain about the lack of formatting options :)
kdosborn

Post by kdosborn »

Our ward is trying to start using the Newsletter. I've tried using it in both Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. There are no formatting options at all. It looks like it is trying to load the formatting toolbar (the browser just keeps spinning like it is trying to load something), but nothing ever shows up. On this wiki site, though, the formatting toolbar shows up just fine. And I cannot get the newsletter to put a line break no matter what I try. I am trying to create a very simple document with just three paragraphs. When I save, I have on giant run-on paragraph. I can't do bold, italic or underline because the toolbar is never there to do the formatting. And forget trying to put a hyperlink in.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kdosborn wrote:Our ward is trying to start using the Newsletter. I've tried using it in both Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. There are no formatting options at all. It looks like it is trying to load the formatting toolbar (the browser just keeps spinning like it is trying to load something), but nothing ever shows up.
I just tried it in both IE and Chrome - I got the formatting bar with no problems. You might want to try another computer. Perhaps there's some security software that's blocking it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

I was able to get the formatting bar to work in Chrome (Version 43.0.2357.130 m on Windows 8.1) just now to update our weekly newsletter. What version of Chrome and what OS do you use? I could also use Firefox version 38.0.5 on the same computer.

I use formatting very loosely. I copy from plain text and it works ok. Do you double space between your paragraphs? I find that helps to get the paragraphs to kinda work. Advanced formatting tricks will not work AT ALL with the newsletter. It is extremely dumbed down for the lay person to use which is extremely frustrating. Usually I will copy and paste my newsletter in, then save. After I save I usually have to go back in and hit enter to get my spacing right.

If I want to post something that is formatted, I will save the Word document and then upload that to the newsletter. It usually works just fine.
mevans

Post by mevans »

kellymab wrote:If I want to post something that is formatted, I will save the Word document and then upload that to the newsletter. It usually works just fine.
Rather than saving it as a Word document, I suggest saving it as a PDF. That's more accessible to people.

Return to “Newsletter”