Viewing Calling Information Across Stake Boundaries

Beta testing of the Local Unit Directory Application
gpford5

Viewing Calling Information Across Stake Boundaries

Post by gpford5 »

As director of our family history center which includes 9 stakes, I have a need to be able to find leadership and family history consultants in stakes other than my own. I am wondering if anyone is aware of a simple means of gaining permission to see into other stake's callings.

I found the process of creating and maintaining temporary memberships as it stands is too much to ask of the "other" stakes for the benefit.

This "need/wish" is also shared with ym/yw leaders who do multistake activities, along with sports/cultural activity leaders, scouts, and so forth.
gpford5

Re: Viewing Calling Information Across Stake Boundaries

Post by gpford5 »

This type of functionality could also be used in boundary realignmenets...gf
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gpford wrote:I am wondering if anyone is aware of a simple means of gaining permission to see into other stake's callings.
The short, possibly flippant answer - become a stake clerk. They have access to the CDOL which gives information about surrounding stakes. (Not to the member level, but at least to many callings.)

The alternative is to ask a stake clerk for regular reports on that. (Probably require the approval of a member of the stake presidency, but anyone in the extended stake presidency can do it.)

Long term, you're best shot is to take it up with the Family History department to see what they can work out.

The current system simply doesn't have a way to grant you rights except by placing you in a pre-defined calling that has those rights.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bdayley

Post by bdayley »

I have exactly the same problem. We have a county-wide committee of members that have been assigned to work on emergency preparedness assignments, under the presiding authority of our county Public Affairs Committee and its agent Stake President. We serve 17 stakes and their leadership, but don't have access to CDOL, a critical tool for contact information and maps, since none of us fall under the standardized callings for CDOL access.

An easy solution would be to create a "calling" on the stake MLS standardized-calling list that only granted access to CDOL. The presiding authority of my out-of-unit organization (in my case, the agent stake president over public affairs) could ask my stake president to grant this access when they record my out-of-unit calling in my home-stake MLS. CHQ would just need to create a new "CDOL-access" calling and assign proper access rights, no major changes to the existing system.

Coincidentally, I currently have CDOL access through a ward clerk calling, but the day will come when I am released on the ward level. I will lose my CDOL access, which I use more for my public affairs calling than I do for my clerk calling. This would be an easy way to prevent this. I'd love to be the guinea pig to try it out... hint, hint, anyone at HQ? :-)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bdayley wrote:An easy solution would be to create a "calling" on the stake MLS standardized-calling list that only granted access to CDOL. The presiding authority of my out-of-unit organization (in my case, the agent stake president over public affairs) could ask my stake president to grant this access when they record my out-of-unit calling in my home-stake MLS. CHQ would just need to create a new "CDOL-access" calling and assign proper access rights, no major changes to the existing system.
Well, except that a uninformed stake president might start sticking people in there that shouldn't be in there. You'd have to have some kind of official guidance as to when that should happen.

A better method would be to have regional callings managed by the region. But either way, the whole thing would most likely have to be run past the Brethren first and the prioritized for the limited development resources.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gpford5

Post by gpford5 »

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm not familiar with CDOL, but will look into what you have suggested.

Return to “Beta Directory”