New feature allows building schedulers to create events

For community testing of Calender releases.
jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6522
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

New feature allows building schedulers to create events

Postby jdlessley » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:20 am

[Moderator note: this topic was split out from the announcement New Beta 2.7 Ready for Feedback! topic, because it deals with a distinct issue.]
jeffevannelson wrote:Building schedulers may create events associated directly with their assigned building without otherwise needing to be an editor on any regular calendar.


Is this the same as the capability default administrators have for all their public unit calendars?

jeffevannelson wrote:Known Issues are:

• Problems with Building Schedulers Creating Events.

Does this mean that the capability previously mentioned about building schedulers being able to create events does not work yet?
Last edited by aebrown on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Note topic split
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20725
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: New Beta 2.7 Ready for Feedback!

Postby russellhltn » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:54 am

jeffevannelson wrote:Building schedulers may create events associated directly with their assigned building without otherwise needing to be an editor on any regular calendar.


Can you explain this a little more? What calendars would they have access to? Just stake? All units that meet in that building? Or is this like creating a "blocked" restriction?
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:26 am
Location: Utah

Re: New Beta 2.7 Ready for Feedback!

Postby jeffevannelson » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:48 am

russellhltn wrote:
jeffevannelson wrote:Building schedulers may create events associated directly with their assigned building without otherwise needing to be an editor on any regular calendar.


Can you explain this a little more? What calendars would they have access to? Just stake? All units that meet in that building? Or is this like creating a "blocked" restriction?


There is now a "building Calendar" so Building Schedulers no longer have to have access to a calendar. If they choose to make a "event or Restriction" they can either add it to that default building calendar or to any calendar they have edit rights to.

So Joe is made a building scheduler. He logs onto calendar and he can then add events and restrictions to the building in which he has access. Those are the only events he can make. They will not show up on any calendar other then the locations calendar for that building.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20725
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: New Beta 2.7 Ready for Feedback!

Postby russellhltn » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:02 pm

Ok, so this isn't really a functionally change, it's more like integrating access to the restrictions calendar into the rest of the calendars. The building scheduler can create an "event" by placing a blocked restriction (just like he/she can now). And no one else can edit that calendar except for a building scheduler, the "event" won't synce and the only way others can see that restriction is by viewing the location. (All of that just like now.)

I did notice that you re-iterated some changes made previously (like giving stake leaders access), so I think that's part of the confusion.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: New Beta 2.7 Ready for Feedback!

Postby aebrown » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:17 pm

russellhltn wrote:Ok, so this isn't really a functionally change, it's more like integrating access to the restrictions calendar into the rest of the calendars. The building scheduler can create an "event" by placing a blocked restriction (just like he/she can now). And no one else can edit that calendar except for a building scheduler, the "event" won't synce and the only way others can see that restriction is by viewing the location. (All of that just like now.)

The feature that allows building schedulers to create events on a building calendar doesn't work right now, so I can't verify the following. But if I understand it correctly, it is indeed functionally different, because it truly is an event. You put "event" in quotations marks, supposing it is still a restriction. But it's really an event, which is quite different. No other building scheduler can create an event on top of it (but if it were a blocked restriction, any building scheduler would be able to create an event on top of it).

However, your other points are sound. The fact that no one can subscribe to that special building calendar means that it can't sync and is not visible except by viewing the location. So it's a fairly minor upgrade in capability.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20725
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: New Beta 2.7 Ready for Feedback!

Postby russellhltn » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:10 pm

aebrown wrote:The feature that allows building schedulers to create events on a building calendar doesn't work right now, so I can't verify the following. But if I understand it correctly, it is indeed functionally different, because it truly is an event. You put "event" in quotations marks, supposing it is still a restriction. But it's really an event, which is quite different. No other building scheduler can create an event on top of it (but if it were a blocked restriction, any building scheduler would be able to create an event on top of it).

Not new. It appeared back in May. I believe it correct to continue to call it a restriction as it still appears on the restriction calendar, but blocked restrictions behave more like events. But unlike events, you can sync them, assign editor rights, etc. so I don't think it's right to call it an event.

(I'll also add I don't think "Stake leadership may subscribe to and view calendars of all units within their stakes." is new either.)
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20725
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: New feature allows building schedulers to create events

Postby russellhltn » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:23 pm

russellhltn wrote:Not new.


OK, parts of it might be new. Re-reading the thread I see where there was a "future" that hadn't been implemented in May. I guess it gets implemented now. I had it in my mind that "blocked" already behaved like an event.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:26 am
Location: Utah

Re: New feature allows building schedulers to create events

Postby jeffevannelson » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:19 am

well blocked events reserved the building for no one. while a event reserves the building for a specific unit. The main change is events can exist but not on any calendar other then the building(location) calendar.

Also to get building schedulers to reserve they no longer have to be a editor were before they would make blocks of time they now simply make a event choose the building and "reserve it" to a unit.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20725
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: New feature allows building schedulers to create events

Postby russellhltn » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:44 am

jeffevannelson wrote:Also to get building schedulers to reserve they no longer have to be a editor were before they would make blocks of time they now simply make a event choose the building and "reserve it" to a unit.


It may be simpler to do, but I'm still not seeing a change in the end results other than blocked reservations are more reliable when used as a event substitute.

Building Schedulers still can't place an event on any unit calendar unless they also have calendar editor rights. Nor can they "reserve it" for a specific activity - all they can do is keep others from scheduling it or restrict it to a specific unit (but not group).
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: New feature allows building schedulers to create events

Postby aebrown » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:10 pm

russellhltn wrote:Building Schedulers still can't place an event on any unit calendar unless they also have calendar editor rights. Nor can they "reserve it" for a specific activity - all they can do is keep others from scheduling it or restrict it to a specific unit (but not group).

In the 2.7 Announcement, it is specifically noted that a known issue is "Problems with Building Schedulers Creating Events." I've been working under the assumption that the ability for building schedulers to create events is not working at all at this point, but that it is indeed intended to work before the beta concludes.

It would be good to hear a confirmation as to whether that assumption is correct, or if not, under what conditions a building scheduler can now create events.


Return to “Beta Calendar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest