Lesson Schedules Discountinued 2017

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Re: Lesson Schedules Discountinued 2017

Post by kennethjorgensen »

See my new post for a Lesson Schedule spreadsheet that can be used as a replacement

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=26410
quandmeme

Post by quandmeme »

wrigjef wrote:You are correct in that the calendar would serve the function however many wards already use the calendar quite extensively and putting every class schedule on would tend to make the calendar mess.

Our ward has a calendar for adult lessons, but Android users find it hard to subscribe to the calendar and tend to use LDStools. But we also used the lesson scheduled for those that checked it. Note That there is a batch import feature that makes setting up the lessons much less tedious. As a clerk I can batch import but I hear that not everyone in the ward council has that feature.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

quandmeme wrote:Our ward has a calendar for adult lessons, but Android users find it hard to subscribe to the calendar and tend to use LDStools.
Yeah, going to Google calendar to do the import seem a tad counter-intuitive. I believe they can load it directly if the add a app.

quandmeme wrote:Note That there is a batch import feature that makes setting up the lessons much less tedious. As a clerk I can batch import but I hear that not everyone in the ward council has that feature.
I think that's just for calendar administrators. Outside of the extended bishopric and ward website admin, I don't think anyone else would have that ability.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lockenest

Post by lockenest »

I have been asked to create a lesson schedule for RS/Priesthood and Gospel Doctrine for 2017. I've only included the lesson numbers, because you can find ALL the lesson manuals at lds.org. The only trick is getting the computer-illiterate to access the church website. It's kind of like Moses wondering in the wilderness to weed out the generation that was having problems with change.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

lockenest wrote:It's kind of like Moses wondering in the wilderness to weed out the generation that was having problems with change.
This is why we are here on the earth: Learn and teach, learn and teach, learn and teach, .....
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

If the church had gone back and integrated these tools into LDS Tools and delivered it that way, everyone could get to it, my great grandparents use smart phones. This is very poor strategy and leadership in my opinion. Too bad...
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm guessing that some changes are in store - changes that would have broken Lesson Schedules and would not have been cheap to fix. It might be best to let Lesson Schedules die and bring it back in it's proper form once the transition from MLS to LCR is complete. To try and create a transition from the current program to the future one would have increased the burden.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

If that's the case then they should say it, right now the message is that nobody uses it the tools so we're discontinuing them - no indication that something will replace them. So I'm not holding out hope that there is some secret strategy, because I'm taking them at their word because that's how we all should be acting.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If they said it would be replaced, then they'd be hounded by "when". If the product cost nothing to maintain, there's be no incentive to shut it down.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:If the product cost nothing to maintain, there's be no incentive to shut it down.
I believe that is the reason Lesson Schedules was discontinued, not because of cost, but because of time and effort it took someone at headquarters each year to set up the curriculum and all of its links for us to access.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”