Lesson Schedules Discountinued 2017

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
marianomarini

Re: Lesson Schedules Discountinued 2017

Post by marianomarini »

Since I was baptized, early in the '70th, I realize that the address of JFK to Americans apply as well to Church's members.
"ask not what your (country) Church can do for you--ask what you can do for your (country) Church"
According to this determination I introduce Pc into my Branch long before all other units in Italian,at least. (1985).
Same thing for translations of church material not yet in our language, and so long.
Here in Italy we can have an Host over 1Gb for about 12,00 (twelve) Euros per year.
Make a site for your unit and put on all you desire.
Maybe this forum could be a right place where to share knowledge and/or software solutions.
This way we can customize the features according with our needs and tight the right tool.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

wrigjef wrote:My ward really needs a schedule for lessons. The topic has come up in all the new teachers Council meetings that we've had, I've pointed to the feature and promised that I would get it ready for 2017 as soon as the Church makes the lessons available. Now as much as it pains me I'll be manually building a document with any lesson links that I can track down. I know some are manually entering schedules into a calendar but best I can tell you can't put a link in a calendar and that's one of the things our ward really likes.

I find it ironic that they take away one great resource right as they try to push better teaching skills. The timing just makes me laughing, though all my RS teachers are sad to see it go. They loved the one stop click to know what to teach.

One downside to the lesson schedule was you could only link one conference talk or one teachings of the living prophet lesson. I heard that was why many wards didn't use it was because most wards I've been in will occasionally combine lessons or have multiple GC talks and the system didn't allow that to happen. As a result, people did their own thing

Most people didn't even know it existed in the first place. Teaching in the saviors way would have been a great time to update and reintroduce the tool, but I can see how it wasn't feasible to do.
wendyhickman

Post by wendyhickman »

We made this spreadsheet to replace the online lesson schedule. It is all of the primary lessons for 2017 (except Nursery). All of the lessons are all clickable. Feel free to copy and paste into your own file and edit it as needed for your own wards:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... QxDd_vL6I/
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

wendyhickman wrote:We made this spreadsheet to replace the online lesson schedule. It is all of the primary lessons for 2017 (except Nursery). All of the lessons are all clickable. Feel free to copy and paste into your own file and edit it as needed for your own wards:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... QxDd_vL6I/
This is very nice, THANK YOU MUCH FOR SHARING I have passed this on to our Primary presidency.
ldtod

Post by ldtod »

After some effort, my quorum and instructors are now familiar with and enjoy having the ability to see the upcoming lesson schedules. I'm too am saddened by it's discontinuance.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The real issue is that the tools were rushed into production, never touched to make improvements and then discontinued because they were not used. Chicken/Egg.

Discontinue to the hearts content, but what is the strategy? Is the functionality being migrated to Gospel Library/LDS Tools? Was there a survey sent to Stake Presidents about why it wasn't used? Was they EVER any training or encouragement on using the tools that wasn't bottom-up rather than top-down? I find it sad that we don't seem to have any kind of plan or strategy and when the non-existent plan didn't work the solution is killed.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

As far as I know there was no training, we pulled instructions from the web to use in a fireside talking about web tools but beyond some local efforts I don't believe there was much of a church wide effort to let members know about this tool or encourage its use.

As far as I understand the discontinuation is not based on human feedback but exclusively on website analytics. Just as many wards and stakes are pushing the tool in coordination with the "Teachers Council" initiative.
priscilawilson10

Post by priscilawilson10 »

I am the primary president in my ward and this has been an amazing tool for me, my presidency and my primary teachers. Also because I am in primary every Sunday, I don't get to participate in Sunday school or Relief society and so with the lesson schedule I can go online and see what lessons they are learning every Sunday in RS and Sunday school so that I can read the lessons at home. I don't understand why they are discontinuing this function? I used to be the primary secretary and I used to do all the schedules manually and it was a lot of work. When I discovered the lesson schedule function it really was a life saver. It saved me so much time and I love that everyone in the ward has access to it.
Raeghn

Post by Raeghn »

I have really liked this feature to be able to line out the lessons for our Ward bulletin, Ward newsletter, teachers and students of a lot of the classes in our ward. This tool was very useful for us to be able to plan ahead. I will miss this a lot. The calendar application doesn't seem to have the ability to link the LDS.org lesson right on the "event", so I'm not sure what we'll use now.
adamolson

Post by adamolson »

Very sad, I maintained another website and even bought my own domain as to not promote anything else and to be as neutral as possible to post all lessons, it was very tedious to make and what the church came up with was so much better after all the Ward Conferences were entered and Stake and General Conference was added you could just add the first lesson and every lesson with a link would be populated around it. Even in only a few thousand were using it was extremely beneficial to those that did use. I second how nice it was to see what your children's lessons were and show all the lessons that were relevant to you with a click of a button. Hopefully in the near future something that could be also implemented into LDS Library app could be added, that was what I was hoping for. For whatever reason the lessons would never show up on my iOS browswer.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”