Lesson Schedules Discountinued 2017

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
elscott

Re: Lesson Schedules Discountinued 2017

Post by elscott »

Like others on this forum, I would like to add my input that the Lesson Schedules feature is useful and that as we are finally getting members and leaders to use the function, I hate to see it go. I understand that the Brethren have to move resources from time to time, but have trouble seeing what is gained by losing this function without a ready replacement.

Eric L. Scott
Elders Quorum President
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Other tools could be "forced" from leadership into adoption, and I indeed heard once: "You want to use the building? You will use the online calendar to schedule." So people learned it.

"You want to teach Elders Quorum? You will use the lesson schedules tool."
Yeah.... Not the same.

(Added later: In a recent leadership meeting, we actually all logged onto our devices, and all navigated to LCR, and looked at a few basic things. It took 20 minutes to get us all to the same report section of LCR. That experience explained why some can adopt a complex software tool, and some don't even know it exists. Maybe a reset for lesson schedules while we focus on basics isn't such a bad idea)
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!
glendonlowder

Post by glendonlowder »

I tried creating calendar events for my quorum but the calendar doesn't recognize links so people will have to copy and paste the link in a web browser for it to work. I can at least inform the quorum of the lesson subject and keep track of who's teaching. I'll miss the tool greatly...
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Thanks for the article. The Church is about positive change. The implemation of Teachers Councils is a positive change and it's only natural for increased use of an existing web tool to be an associated positive change. I pray for a chance to make this change.
randieharris

Post by randieharris »

Our Ward was just recently formed, and I was working with others to start using the Lesson Schedule feature or next year. I even announced it today in High Priests that in the future they could find their lessons using this feature. So, I am confused as to why the church discontinued a great feature. The message is fairly new.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

According with Church's statistic 750 units over 30.000 use this tool. I expect 750 message of objection. Maybe less, in fact, Included in the 750 there's my Ward that is manage from me and never used by members.
It will be interesting to know how many members, instead of how many unities, are using it.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

My ward really needs a schedule for lessons. The topic has come up in all the new teachers Council meetings that we've had, I've pointed to the feature and promised that I would get it ready for 2017 as soon as the Church makes the lessons available. Now as much as it pains me I'll be manually building a document with any lesson links that I can track down. I know some are manually entering schedules into a calendar but best I can tell you can't put a link in a calendar and that's one of the things our ward really likes.
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

sbradshaw wrote:
kd7mha wrote:Here is what I have been working on
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
This is a really nice, simple system. You could even add teachers if you wanted to. The hard part is what was mentioned above, directing members to "go to Google Docs for X, Facebook for Y, etc." Does your ward only teach one Sunday School class?
From an earlier post maybe this is what we should do, It is very nice.
kfletch

Post by kfletch »

I add my voice to the others sharing disappointment over this announced change. After spending years "selling" my ward on the features of the LDS.org website, and all the reasons we should embrace church technology over privately created spreadsheets/calendars/email lists, etc. - my ward leadership has finally been on board for 18 months with all the LDS.org features, Lesson Schedules included. For the first time ever, because of Lesson Schedules, substitute teachers can easily find the scheduled lessons AND the 3rd hour lessons between RS/HP/EQ have been in sync. From my perspective as a ward website administrator, this change and the potential implications are beyond aggravating.
dtolputt

Post by dtolputt »

Using the Lesson Schedules was simple and could be used by many members. It is easy to update and change. It is sad to see it discontinued. The alternative seems to be a big challenge.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”