Church Lesson schedule guidelines

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
drepouille

Re: Church Lesson schedule guidelines

Post by drepouille »

Not sure if they can see Lesson Schedules on their personal electronic devices. If they have to login to lds.org to see it, they usually choose not to do so.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jasonhyer wrote:But alas, if you look at the history on the topic it wasn't deemed very important for the stake to have that ability. *sigh*
Not important enough to hold up the product. I suspect part of the driving force was to complete replicating the essential functions of the old LUWS before it was shut down.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I've found no current guidelines that indicate that the whole church, or even the whole stake is on the same Priesthood / Relief Society lesson schedule for the 2nd or 3rd Sundays. For the 4th Sunday, the handbook says either the Bishop or Stake President selects the topic, so maybe if your Stake President elects, all wards have the same topic on the 4th Sunday.

The Handbook instructs us that Priesthood and Relief Society should be on the same lesson. Presumably husband and wife are in the same ward so they can discuss the topic together. It's possible that adult children living at home are in a singles ward and may not be on the same lesson, but I guess that's life.

I believe in the past there may have been more strict guidelines on the 2nd and 3rd Sunday lessons being set by the stake, but I don't find any policy or guideline specifying that requirement now.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mevans wrote:I've found no current guidelines that indicate that the whole church, or even the whole stake is on the same Priesthood / Relief Society lesson schedule for the 2nd or 3rd Sundays.
You are correct. The stake-wide requirement is no longer there. I found it nice when my calling required me to visit other wards and branches on a regular basis, and our stake still sends out a schedule and encourages it.

But this past year, after seeing the same lesson three weeks in a row, I looked it up and found there was no longer any support for the concept, so we did not raise much of a fuss about it.

We did lower the boom on a ward that had three different lessons in RS and the two priesthood quorums and groups one Sunday.
janaleegriffin

Post by janaleegriffin »

Who has access to change the lesson schedule online for individual wards? My understanding would be the administration leaders in the ward, and also the stake. But not just anybody. Am I correct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

janaleegriffin wrote:Who has access to change the lesson schedule online for individual wards? My understanding would be the administration leaders in the ward, and also the stake. But not just anybody. Am I correct?
Certainly not just anybody, but in addition to the list you named, organization leaders can change the classes for their respective organizations. And stake leaders have no permissions at the stake level, but for training purposes have administrative access for their respective roles.

See Rights and Roles in the documentation for details.
mevans

Post by mevans »

aebrown wrote:
janaleegriffin wrote:Who has access to change the lesson schedule online for individual wards? My understanding would be the administration leaders in the ward, and also the stake. But not just anybody. Am I correct?
Certainly not just anybody, but in addition to the list you named, organization leaders can change the classes for their respective organizations. And stake leaders have no permissions at the stake level, but for training purposes have administrative access for their respective roles.
Also, if an there is an instructor assigned to a class, that person can change the lessons for that class.
kwjamison

Post by kwjamison »

I was primarily interested in the gospel doctrine lesson schedule. It sounds from the responses that there is not a North America policy on scheduling.

It would be nice from a stake perspective to have the option to synchronize the lessons within the stake, but it sounds like we will not have the option.

I appreciate all of the responses.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kwjamison wrote:It would be nice from a stake perspective to have the option to synchronize the lessons within the stake, but it sounds like we will not have the option.
It may happen, but not in time for this year. The developers have a lot on their plate.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kwjamison wrote:I was primarily interested in the gospel doctrine lesson schedule. It sounds from the responses that there is not a North America policy on scheduling.
I am not aware that there has ever been a policy with regard to the gospel doctrine lesson schedule, other than the subject for the year and the general idea that the lessons usually are best taught in order.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”