lesson schedule for the year 2013

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
drepouille

Re: lesson schedule for the year 2013

Post by drepouille »

thedqs wrote:Please note that there are only 46 lessons in the manual so there are 6 spots for the ward to work around (2 ward conferences, 2 stake conferences and 2 general conference) so that every ward can get through all the material while adjusting the schedule for their ward.
Well, each unit has one unit conference, two stake conferences, two general conferences, and Christmas (when we sometimes hold only Sacrament Meeting and go home).

At the stake level, we must decide what to do when stake conference falls on the second or third Sunday. Do we tell the local units to skip that lesson and study it on their own at home, or do we just push the schedule back a week?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
EDHUMPHERYS

Post by EDHUMPHERYS »

Not sure what happened to my last post. (If it appears twice my apologies.)

I'm not trying to be militant in enforcing that a particular lesson be taught on a particular day. I'm simply responding to (1) comment from visitors stating they had that particular lesson a couple weeks ago, (2) a local member stating "I always study for the next lesson but recently find that it is not the one that is taught." (3) I studied the lesson but it didn't really correlate to the lesson being taught, maybe I studied the wrong lesson, (4)local leaders stating that we are teaching the "wrong" lesson and that we are out of sync with "the schedule".
Just trying to have us be consistent and minimize any confusion.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

EDHUMPHERYS wrote:Just trying to have us be consistent and minimize any confusion.
Easiest way is to have the presidencies set up and use the "Lesson Schedule" on lds.org and then point everyone to that resource, especially the teachers. It will take bit to get used to but has been very useful in making sure everyone (including the teachers) know what the lesson will be even if I forgot to send out a reminder.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

EDHUMPHERYS wrote:I'm simply responding to (1) comment from visitors stating they had that particular lesson a couple weeks ago,
This will continue to happen, since there is no church-wide schedule of lessons.
(2) a local member stating "I always study for the next lesson but recently find that it is not the one that is taught." (3) I studied the lesson but it didn't really correlate to the lesson being taught, maybe I studied the wrong lesson,
This might be solved by showing the member where the schedule is located and how to access it.
(4) local leaders stating that we are teaching the "wrong" lesson and that we are out of sync with "the schedule".
This should happen in private outside of the classroom. When this subject came up at the beginning of a recent lesson, I made the comment that the lesson the teacher had prepared was the one that should be taught that day.

We moved the discussion about what happened (or didn't) to another time.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I would be happy if our Gospel Doctrine teacher would write on the board which lesson she is teaching today, and which lesson she plans to teach next week. It takes me 5 or 10 minutes to figure out which lesson she is teaching, then I follow along with her on my iPod using the teacher's manual and the links embedded within it. I have found she pretty much reads directly from the manual. That's OK, since we are supposed to use the given materials.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
EDHUMPHERYS

Post by EDHUMPHERYS »

Thanks everyone for the information and input. It's great knowing others are out there.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

Our lesson schedules are published on the web site (It's kept up for MPH, RS and Gospel Doctrine since I do those myself in English and Spanish). Not only that, but the current week and the next 4 weeks are published on the bulletin (retrieved from the website by the bulletin publisher) in English and Spanish. So, only a visitor has an excuse for being 'off track' and not any active member. And no one has and excuse for not knowing which lesson we are on.

The youth and primary schedules are not published, but that's another story.

Oh, and by the way, the 46 Gospel Doctrines D&C lessons is 2 short [46 + 2 (General Conference) + 2 (Stake Conference) = 50]. Ward/Branch conference day uses the regular Gospel Doctrine lesson.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”