Schedules Display Problem with the New Year?

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
derrellmangum

Re: Schedules Display Problem with the New Year?

Post by derrellmangum »

The Schedules problem has been going on for years and it seems "the powers that be" are disinterested in fixing this. Before I retired, I was a software test engineer for some major corporations in the Northwest US.
This is definitely a bug, so please don't say it isn't. If the application does not present itself in such a way that the most inexperienced computer user can use it without having to jump through any hoops, it is a bug and must be fixed.
I'm also my wards website admin and just finished setting up the 2016 lesson schedules in the website. After doing all that, the lessons do not display when I go to look at Lesson Schedules. The average user would not necessarily think to click the back button and click the forward button to make the schedule appear. That's kinda stupid.

Anyway, please fix this continuing problem. It's kinda low class to just let it go for years. :?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

derrellmangum wrote:The Schedules problem has been going on for years and it seems "the powers that be" are disinterested in fixing this.
It's not a matter of "interest"; it's a matter of priorities. The Church has a limited development staff, and they work on the priorities given to them by priesthood leadership. For smaller apps such as Lesson Schedules, there is no permanent staff assigned to work on it, and so many months or even years may pass before the developers are assigned to ramp up the development system and work on it again.
derrellmangum wrote:This is definitely a bug, so please don't say it isn't.
No one is saying it's not a bug (except for one speculation that the fact that it hasn't been fixed implies that it is not a bug, which I don't see as a reasonable conclusion).
derrellmangum wrote:If the application does not present itself in such a way that the most inexperienced computer user can use it without having to jump through any hoops, it is a bug and must be fixed.
You are welcome to say it must be fixed, and no one is saying it won't be fixed, but none of us here on the forum set the priorities or timing.
derrellmangum wrote:Anyway, please fix this continuing problem.
No one here on the forum is in a position to fix this. If you would like to make a request that will be heard, use the Feedback link on LDS.org.
pappabees

2016 Class Schedule won't show up

Post by pappabees »

I have activated the 2016 Lesson Schedule and the check box shows it is active. However when looking at just lessons nothing will show up except old lesson years that I have left active.
Will these not display until we are in the year 2016. If this is true this needs to be fixed please as we would like our class members to come prepared for class and have more then 3 days to do so.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: 2016 Class Schedule won't show up

Post by russellhltn »

pappabees wrote:I have activated the 2016 Lesson Schedule and the check box shows it is active. However when looking at just lessons nothing will show up except old lesson years that I have left active.
Will these not display until we are in the year 2016. If this is true this needs to be fixed please as we would like our class members to come prepared for class and have more then 3 days to do so.
I've merged your post with an existing topic. Safe to say, the bug isn't going to be fixed before the new year. I wouldn't make promises about next year, either.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

At the risk of running this topic too long, I'm curious about something. I am not a programmer, but I know some of you are, so what is your estimate of the time it might take to fix this bug?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

zaneclark wrote:At the risk of running this topic too long, I'm curious about something. I am not a programmer, but I know some of you are, so what is your estimate of the time it might take to fix this bug?
It really depends on how it's organized. The bug might be a single line of code, or it could be the result of how different modules interact between each other. Changing that can be tricky and possibly result in new bugs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:At the risk of running this topic too long, I'm curious about something. I am not a programmer, but I know some of you are, so what is your estimate of the time it might take to fix this bug?
It's not my project, so it's really tough to say. But even if it only took a day or two for the actual fix, there's quite a bit of overhead in reactivating a project that has been dormant for some time. Just familiarizing yourself with the code can take days (particularly if you weren't the one who first wrote it, which I would think is fairly likely in this case), there needs to be some requirements and design work ahead of time, QA and design review afterwards, and a release process. All that overhead could easily take 2-4 weeks or more just for one bug fix. That's pretty expensive for a team that is already actively working on LCR or whatever other project they are in an efficient groove developing.

Note that this is just a wild guess for a project I have zero involvement with, but I do have quite a bit of experience working on teams that have had to reactivate dormant projects, and it is a painful experience that frequently takes significantly longer than your initial pessimistic estimates.
BlairEsplin

Post by BlairEsplin »

I noticed the same problem in seeing the 2016 lesson schedule. I am very grateful that I was able to find this thread and learn how to make the new schedule show, but ward members will never figure it out. I hope that after the first of the year the problem will resolve itself.

As for why the problem exists, it certainly must be a matter of priority rather than a matter of resources. Apparently those in charge do not see a need to fix the problem, because if the church can build a multibillion dollar shopping mall, and complete a church building per week, the problem is not a lack of funds.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Success! As of 9:30 pm the 2016 Lesson Schedules are properly displayed! They may have been earlier, but this is my first attempt today..... Now I can announce this to the ward in the newsletter.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

zaneclark wrote:Success! As of 9:30 pm the 2016 Lesson Schedules are properly displayed!
Hmmmm, not 2016 MST, but it would be for UTC.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”