Youth Lessons Getting Scrambled

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
mikelhansen

Youth Lessons Getting Scrambled

Post by mikelhansen »

As a new Sunday School President I'm trying to set up the lesson schedules for the new year. I was able to put in the Gospel Principles and Gospel Doctrine class schedules for the entire year. Everything was working great.
I then went to set up the Youth 12-14 class. It populated with the generic class per month. I then selected the weekly classes for each Sunday. I then went to see it and all the lessons disappeared.
I then setup the Youth 15-17 class and tried to setup only January for both youth Sunday School classes. I then went to look and saw that the weekly lessons were not in synch. I then went and fixed the one that was out of synch. I then looked and the other classes lessons changed. I went in and tried to fix it again. Each time I fixed the four lessons the website would scramble them for me. Weird...
The website seems to want to randomly change the lesson plans to keep the classes out of synch with each other. Is this a bug with the youth SS classes?

Thanks,
Mike Hansen
mikelhansen2000@gmail.com
406-388-5539 (home)
Belgrade 1st Ward, Belgrade, MT
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Youth Lessons Getting Scrambled

Post by jdlessley »

mikelhansen wrote:I then went to set up the Youth 12-14 class. It populated with the generic class per month. I then selected the weekly classes for each Sunday.
We need to trace your steps to see what happened and possibly why it happened. I am assuming you did the following:
  • From the Administration page clicked "Add Class".
  • Filled in the class information.
    1. "Class Name";
    2. Selected "All Year" for "Class Duration";
    3. Selected 2013 for "Choose a year";
    4. Selected "Sunday School" for "Priesthood or Auxiliary";
    5. Selected "Sunday School 12-13" for "Choose a class"; and
    6. Selected "Come Follow Me, Learning Outlines" for "Manual and Lesson Material".
  • Clicked the "Save" button.
  • Clicked the "View Year" for the newly created class on the Administration page.
  • Clicked the edit (pencil on paper) icon for the 6 January lesson.
  • Left the "Lesson Type" (default) on " Learning Outlines".
  • Clicked a learning outline question in the "January: The Godhead" list box.
  • Optionally entered an instructor name in the "Instructor" text box.
  • Clicked the "Save" button.
  • Repeated steps 5-9 for each of the remaining lesson dates.
Note that after step 3 all the monthly learning outline topics are auto-filled. The specific learning outline questions or custom topic for each lesson are completed in steps 4 through 9. If a custom topic is chosen for a lesson then step 6 will be "Topic (Custom)" and the remaining steps through step 9 will be adjusted for a custom topic.
mikelhansen wrote:I then went to see it and all the lessons disappeared.
What exactly did you do "to see it"? After completing step 10 all the lesson topics are displayed on the 2013 [Class Name] page. Did you go to the main Lessons Schedule page without checking the "Active" check box? If so you can view the class on the main Lessons Schedule page only by making the class active.
mikelhansen wrote:I then setup the Youth 15-17 class and tried to setup only January for both youth Sunday School classes. I then went to look and saw that the weekly lessons were not in synch. I then went and fixed the one that was out of synch. I then looked and the other classes lessons changed. I went in and tried to fix it again. Each time I fixed the four lessons the website would scramble them for me. Weird...
Without knowing what steps you took to create the classes, it is hard to tell what may be happening. What do you mean when you say "the weekly lessons were not in synch"? Are you talking about the lessons for the "Youth 14-18" class being the same lessons as the "Youth 12-13" lessons?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mikelhansen

Re: Youth Lessons Getting Scrambled

Post by mikelhansen »

I tracked the scrambling to when selecting the individual class that the order shown for the classes in the selection screen is in a different order than on the https://www.lds.org/youth/learn/ss/godhead page. On one class I had been going off a printout that was in the same order as the webpage, and the other class I put it in order of position. When I put in the class by position it was different than what I was expecting.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”