Lesson Schedule added to LDS Tools

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
sjenning

Lesson Schedule added to LDS Tools

Post by sjenning »

Will the 2013 lesson schedule be added to the LDS Tools app? My daughter mentioned to me when I was setting up the ward lesson schedule that it would be far more useful if she could access the lessons and the links from her smartphone.
mevans

Re: Lesson Schedule added to LDS Tools

Post by mevans »

Hi sjenning...welcome to the forum.

Currently, Lesson Schedules is only available on the web. I'd love to see it on mobile devices. I think that would make it get used much more than it is used now.

We have no control over what the church does and what the development plans are. Some church employees visit these forums and participate. Sometimes the input from people on the forums makes it in to the church's tools. Other times it doesn't.

There are separate forums for Mobile Applications where you can better discuss this topic. You proposed adding it to LDS Tools. My thought was to add it to Gospel Library (see this thread).

I would encourage you to participate in the forums and share your thoughts and ideas. Don't get frustrated and give up. Progress on all the tools is usually slow, but it happens.
marycox

Post by marycox »

I agree with sjenning. Please add the lesson schedules to lds tools. This would be very useful for many members.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Note that for this to happen, the church developers have to create the API and then the LDS Tool developers have to work to add that to the App.

I have no idea how far along this might be. The church developers have a number of things on their plate and the priorites are set by the Priesthood dept.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
failproof

Post by failproof »

I agree that Lesson Schedules would get used more if it were available on phones and tablets, etc., but there are some inherent limitations with putting it into either LDS Tools or Gospel Library.

If they put it into Tools, and someone uses the links contained within the Lesson Schedules "application", it will take them to the lesson material online, and not the material contained in the mobile Gospel Library (I'm guessing that's probably why mevens is suggesting it go into gospel library.)

If they put it into the Gospel Library then there has to be back end work to correlate the data containing the links to web URLs for the lesson content to links to the same sources in the gospel library. The other issue here is that for the most part, everything in Gospel Library is downloaded once and then never changes. Yes, you might download an additional magazine or manual, but once downloaded that item doesn't change. If a book or item does change, it changes for everyone, church-wide. Lesson Schedules, like calendar and directory which are contained in the tools, can be a fluid/changing resource as lessons change or events like a new temple dedication, etc. come up, and when they do change, they change for your ward, not for the entire church (grated, lessons schedules is probably less fluid than the others, usually set up at the beginning of the year, but it has the potential to be) This is a different strategy than any of the books and items in Gospel Library currently use. That application as a whole doesn't have to check for real-time changes and can thus be used "offline" most of the time.

I bring this up just to give you an idea of how complex this particular request could be and why it is less likely to get the priority since it is available as a web page already which most of those devices can still access, if not as readily. (And it does render quite well on both my tablet browser as well as my blackberry browser)
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

failproof wrote:The other issue here is that for the most part, everything in Gospel Library is downloaded once and then never changes. Yes, you might download an additional magazine or manual, but once downloaded that item doesn't change. If a book or item does change, it changes for everyone, church-wide. Lesson Schedules, like calendar and directory which are contained in the tools, can be a fluid/changing resource as lessons change or events like a new temple dedication, etc. come up, and when they do change, they change for your ward, not for the entire church (grated, lessons schedules is probably less fluid than the others, usually set up at the beginning of the year, but it has the potential to be) This is a different strategy than any of the books and items in Gospel Library currently use.
Although true for most of the Gospel Library content, but Gospel Library also syncs personal annotations, notes and journal entries which can change frequently. So it already has to check for and sync data on a frequent basis.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”