First time set up

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
WayneMcK

First time set up

Post by WayneMcK »

jdlessley wrote:Lesson Schedules does not use a setup wizard. Instead it provides a default set of classes as a template to work from.

Ignoring the proper sequence, which I understand is necessary to ensure Classes flow around Events, could you please further explain what is most likely to happen in a first time set-up of Lesson Schedules.

From what I understand, an Administrator (i.e. Br Clerk) must go in first and set up Lesson Schedules, ONLY after he has done that will any of the organisation Leaders (and counselors) be able to see 'their' classes which they can then Add/Edit Lessons. If done correctly the default Lessons should already be there, so the only real 'Adding' to be done would be any Custom Classes or Lessons, so the first thing an organisation Leader would be interested in doing would be Editing the default Lessons to include the Teacher's name.

Or have I got that wrong, is an Administrator the only one that can add Teachers to default Classes and Lessons and this must be done during set-up?

Is my matrix wrong, for organisation Leaders should I indicate they can only Add/Edit CUSTOM Classes and Lessons?

Thank you so much for getting me this far!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

WayneMcK wrote:...so the first thing an organisation Leader would be interested in doing would be Editing the default Lessons to include the Teacher's name.

An instructor can be added to a class if that teacher teaches the class throughout the year. Then you only need to add an instructor to an individual lesson for lessons that are taught by a different teacher. See Adding Teachers for Classes and Lessons.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

(Moderator note:This thread was split from theFull List of Permissions for Website Administrator thread. While a discussion outgrowth of the original thread, the topic of this thread is different from that thread.)
WayneMcK wrote:Ignoring the proper sequence, which I understand is necessary to ensure Classes flow around Events, could you please further explain what is most likely to happen in a first time set-up of Lesson Schedules.
Instructions and information for setting up Lesson Schedules is found in the Setting Up Lesson Schedules section of the Lesson Schedules help. I think that provides a good description.
WayneMcK wrote:From what I understand, an Administrator (i.e. Br Clerk) must go in first and set up Lesson Schedules, ONLY after he has done that will any of the organisation Leaders (and counselors) be able to see 'their' classes which they can then Add/Edit Lessons.
Actually Lesson Schedules is ready to use without any administrator setup. However, if any events or customization is needed then the steps outlined in Setting Up Lesson Schedules is necessary. The steps identified in Setting Up Lesson Schedules are needed to ensure events are added first so that an event will not replace lessons but rather postpone them. Customization is then available for organization presidents, their counselors, and secretaries.

We have had reports that some organization classes are not editable by some presidents, counselors, and secretaries at this point. I do not know which ones have edit rights and which ones do not. They all should be editable by the appropriate organization presidencies. But some report EQ presidents currently do not have edit rights.
WayneMcK wrote:If done correctly the default Lessons should already be there...
It is correct that the default classes are there. They are available to unit members as is without any administrator action.
WayneMcK wrote:... so the only real 'Adding' to be done would be any Custom Classes or Lessons, so the first thing an organisation Leader would be interested in doing would be Editing the default Lessons to include the Teacher's name.
Noting your opening remark about following the recommended procedure for postponing lessons, this is correct.
WayneMcK wrote:Or have I got that wrong, is an Administrator the only one that can add Teachers to default Classes and Lessons and this must be done during set-up?
No, teachers can be added at any time by the appropriate presidency.
WayneMcK wrote:Is my matrix wrong, for organisation Leaders should I indicate they can only Add/Edit CUSTOM Classes and Lessons?
(Moderator note: the reference to the matrix is in post #6 of the thread from which this one was split.) No, the default classes can be edited as is "out of the box" by organization leaders. Note, however, that if the recommended procedure for setting up classes are not followed before organization leaders begin editing classes then the postponing feature for events will be lost.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
WayneMcK

Post by WayneMcK »

jdlessley wrote:(Moderator note:This thread was split from theFull List of Permissions for Website Administrator thread. While a discussion outgrowth of the original thread, the topic of this thread is different from that thread.)
Wow, you lost me there for a tick. I knew I posted a reply and then I couldn't find it, so sorry for the slow response - oh and the fact that my employer actually expects me to turn up on regular basis annoyingly interferes with my calling.;)
jdlessley wrote:Actually Lesson Schedules is ready to use without any administrator setup... It is correct that the default classes are there. They are available to unit members as is without any administrator action.
OK, that does seem to explain why I can see Lesson Schedules for our Branch but no one seemed to know how they got there.

Thanks everyone for answering my newbie questions, really really appreciated.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”