A few suggestions

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
SpencerLH

A few suggestions

Post by SpencerLH »

I think this is a great idea. As a Stake Primary President, knowing that most of our wards put together a schedule for the year, I can see that this could be a wonderful help. Also, substitutes could look at the schedule to see what lesson they need to teach.

There are a few thing I think would be helpful as this moves forward. First, I am not sure if the Primary Presidency has access to put in the schedule themselves. If not, that would be helpful. They usual start plans in November or December for the following year. Also, when possible, it would be great to be able to print the schedule out. I suspect those are things you might already be working on.

I think I am supposed to have access to my ward for training purposes, but can't seem to be able to get anything to work. I would love to share this with the ward leaders when we visit for the primary programs. Do I need to do anything?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

spencerlh wrote:There are a few thing I think would be helpful as this moves forward. First, I am not sure if the Primary Presidency has access to put in the schedule themselves. If not, that would be helpful. They usual start plans in November or December for the following year.

The Primary presidency in each ward does have access. See Rights and Roles in the help system.
spencerlh wrote:Also, when possible, it would be great to be able to print the schedule out.

That is already possible. You can print the schedule for a given class for the year by clicking the Print link when viewing the entire year for a class.
spencerlh wrote:I think I am supposed to have access to my ward for training purposes, but can't seem to be able to get anything to work. I would love to share this with the ward leaders when we visit for the primary programs. Do I need to do anything?

No, you're not supposed to have access to your ward. There is special administrative access for their respective wards for the stake presidency and stake clerks, but that does not apply to any other stake leaders. I'm not saying it couldn't be useful, but that's not the current design. See Rights and Roles in the help system.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aebrown wrote:No, you're not supposed to have access to your ward. There is special administrative access for their respective wards for the stake presidency and stake clerks, but that does not apply to any other stake leaders.
The information provided in the Rights and Roles is not specific nor clear as to who other than [stake] clerks have administrator rights to their wards. This is the quote:
Lesson Schedules is not available at the stake level, but stake leaders and clerks have administrative rights for their own ward so that they can learn how the application works and provide training and support to ward administrators.
(Bold added for emphasis) So who is a stake leader? I have asked this very question before and received no response. It would be nice if the help would specify rather than be vague as to what is meant by stake leaders. This post and again in this post in a thread in the Beta Lesson Schedules forum indicate the documentation does not represent what was intended. The words in bold in the above quote should have been stake administrators.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:So who is a stake leader?
In the context of the web pages, I think it's been the Stake Presidency. I'm glad they made it clear that the clerks have access, but I agree with your point. Things like that should be made very clear which standard callings are/are not included.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:So who is a stake leader? I have asked this very question before and received no response. It would be nice if the help would specify rather than be vague as to what is meant by stake leaders. This post in a thread in the Beta Lesson Schedules forum indicate the documentation does not represent what was intended. The words in bold in the above quote should have been stake administrators.

I disagree with the suggestion that "The words in bold in the above quote should have been stake administrators." First of all, it would then be redundant with the phrase that follows ("and clerks"). Second, it would retain ambiguity when you're trying to clear up ambiguity -- there is no concept of "stake administrators" for Lesson Schedules, so no documentation declares what a "stake administrator" would be, and thus it doesn't make it clear at all. It would be much better to spell out the callings. Clearly that includes the stake presidency, stake clerks (including assistants), and the stake executive secretary. I assume it also includes the stake website administrator, but that's a point that should be made clear by whoever fixes the documentation.

Oh, and your link to "This post" doesn't work -- you might want to edit it.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aebrown wrote:I disagree with the suggestion that "The words in bold in the above quote should have been stake administrators." First of all, it would then be redundant with the phrase that follows ("and clerks"). Second, it would retain ambiguity when you're trying to clear up ambiguity -- there is no concept of "stake administrators" for Lesson Schedules, so no documentation declares what a "stake administrator" would be, and thus it doesn't make it clear at all. It would be much better to spell out the callings. Clearly that includes the stake presidency, stake clerks (including assistants), and the stake executive secretary. I assume it also includes the stake website administrator, but that's a point that should be made clear by whoever fixes the documentation.

Oh, and your link to "This post" doesn't work -- you might want to edit it.
The link has been fixed. And if you go to it you will see that it is a church employee who uses the term stake administrators. I added a link to his follow-on clarifying statement of who the developers consider to be the "standard set of stake admins" as is used for those applications that do have stake administrators. I would agree that specifically identifying who the stake leaders or stake administrators are in any application would help avoid misunderstanding or confusion.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Lesson Schedules”