Defaults to displaying following Sundays lessons rather than todays

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
epage

Defaults to displaying following Sundays lessons rather than todays

Post by epage »

Yesterday I went to the website and it defaulted to todays lessons. I went again today and it defaulted to next weeks lessons yet we don't have church for about 4 hours. I imagine most people will not think to notice the date and immediately look at what lessons will be taught today and incorrectly prepare off of that.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Agreed. The default shouldn't change to "next week" until (late) Sunday evening.
clintonkopotic

Post by clintonkopotic »

I agree as well. I saw this occurring today when I was trying to give an introduction to my Bishop about this new tool.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Unless the tool takes into account time zones for switching the lesson number, consider that "(late) Sunday evening" in Utah might still be late afternoon elsewhere in the world. Also remember that the southern hemisphere goes the opposite direction when daylight savings time occurs, thereby making a greater difference between times in the hemispheres. Finding the right time to change lesson schedules for the next week should be thought out carefully.

I've had to manage worldwide systems and it's tricky because some people are already at work on Monday morning when it's only Sunday afternoon on the west coast in the USA.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mevans wrote:Unless the tool takes into account time zones for switching the lesson number, consider that "(late) Sunday evening" in Utah might still be late afternoon elsewhere in the world. Also remember that the southern hemisphere goes the opposite direction when daylight savings time occurs, thereby making a greater difference between times in the hemispheres. Finding the right time to change lesson schedules for the next week should be thought out carefully.

I've had to manage worldwide systems and it's tricky because some people are already at work on Monday morning when it's only Sunday afternoon on the west coast in the USA.

Perhaps, as a starting point while folks decide what to do about it, someone could tell us at what time they make the change now. Then, depending on what time Sunday morning I am asked at the last minute to teach a class, I will know whether I need to go to today or last week to find the correct lesson if the person asking me does not know it.

I suppose I could look at the date, though.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Does the system update based on one time zone or does it acknowledge the time zone of the user's location (the way this message board, for example, acknowledges my time zone when referring to messages posted)? If it's some kind of global reset based on one time zone then it should be no sooner than midnight (or 00:00) GMT. Then half the world is generally experiencing Monday morning and the other half is having Sunday afternoon.

Then again, maybe those people in New Zealand aren't starting first thing Monday morning to study for the next Sunday's lesson, so advancing the system at midnight Utah time would be better anyway and the people in Hawaii will be better served. And people in New Zealand can adjust.

The thing is, if I look at the lesson on Monday and it's the same one I heard the day before then I'm more likely to recognize that and go to the next lesson. If I see next week's lesson on Sunday morning I'm more likely to overlook the fact that it's the wrong lesson because it will be new to me anyway. So, in general it's better to update the web site lesson too late than too early.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”