"All" Category

The Newsletter application will eventually appear alongside Calendar, Directory, and Maps
zaneclark

"All" Category

Post by zaneclark »

Why doesn't the "All" category work? Or is it supposed to? Or am I behind on the instructions as usual?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:Why doesn't the "All" category work? Or is it supposed to? Or am I behind on the instructions as usual?
It works fine for me. When I select the "All" category, I see all the articles in the Newsletter application, regardless of what category they are in. Of course there have to be some articles that have been created. What are you seeing?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dr_computer

Post by dr_computer »

All category is generic to most users and unclear to me who all is so I created category "Entire Ward" to display all articles.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dr_computer wrote:All category is generic to most users and unclear to me who all is so I created category "Entire Ward" to display all articles.
That's fine, but that requires you to remember to attach that category to all articles if you want it to work like "All". And to my hear, it has quite a different meaning:
  • "Entire Ward" implies that every article that is in that category will apply to the entire ward (things like Sacrament Meeting, the ward Christmas party, etc.).
  • "All" means that articles in all the categories are displayed. Some of those articles may apply only to the Primary; some may apply only to the Young Men; but all articles will be listed.
So I don't see how "Entire Ward" is a reasonable substitute for "All" (and you can't remove "All" from the list of categories anyway -- it is built in and always present).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dr_computer

Post by dr_computer »

The All category did and was deleted from my newsletter before I read responses to this thread. The comments made sense so I tried to put it back and when working with categories to arrange them, and determine if All actually was deleted, my complete page of articles disappeared and I had a get started screen. Now I'm not sure what I have for categories.

Losing an article could be a real problem sometime. Does anyone know if there is a "recycle bin feature" or someway to recover an inadvertent loss of an article?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dr_computer wrote:The All category did and was deleted from my newsletter before I read responses to this thread. The comments made sense so I tried to put it back and when working with categories to arrange them, and determine if All actually was deleted, my complete page of articles disappeared and I had a get started screen. Now I'm not sure what I have for categories.
Note that there are two lists of categories:
  • The list that shows on the Admin screen is the entire list of all possible categories. This is the list you may choose from when creating a new article. The "All" category (which isn't really a category at all) makes no sense in this context, so it is not included.
  • The list that shows on the main Newsletter view. This list will include only the "All" category and those categories that are actually used in current articles, so this list will often be much shorter than the Admin list.
dr_computer

Post by dr_computer »

I am not able to find all of the categories logged in as a member. Also how do you select a category for an article as administrator. I see only list manipulation. These may be simple question but in these posts are the "learning" gems.
snyjunk

Post by snyjunk »

When I log in, the newsletter comes up in the "All" category. That is the first view that I get--a list of all articles from all categories listed from the last one posted to the first. That seems like a confusing first view of the page. If I am an editor, I want to control what the user sees when he/she logs in. I would want the Bishopric Message or Stake Presidency Message to come up first. Then the user can chose categories to read articles from the other organizations. I don't see a use for an "All" category in a well-organized newsletter. Is there a way to control what category comes up when the user first logs in?

I can see how someone might want to have all entries listed in chronological order in a blog. However, this is a newsletter application. It seems that greater organization is required for a newsletter. Am I missing something?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dr_computer wrote:I am not able to find all of the categories logged in as a member.
Logged in as a member, you will see all the categories that are currently being used. There may be more categories that an administrator sees, but only because those categories have no articles within them. There's no good reason for a member to see categories that have no articles, so those unused categories are not shown.
dr_computer wrote:Also how do you select a category for an article as administrator. I see only list manipulation. These may be simple question but in these posts are the "learning" gems.
To select a category, you just start typing the category name when you are in the category box. Others have suggested that it would be helpful to have a list of categories to choose from (see the thread Adding a category to a post.).
dr_computer

Post by dr_computer »

In working with categories, on the listing I now have lost the all category and if I try to put it back I get a second"All". Anyone know how to put back the default "All"?

Return to “Beta Newsletter”