"All" Category

The Newsletter application will eventually appear alongside Calendar, Directory, and Maps
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

If the "All" category is missing then there is a bug. It should always be there. If you added an "All" category then you will have a category named "All" and the link, titled "All", that displays all articles in every category. If you only want to see the "All" categories link then delete the category named "All".
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
SorensonMi
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by SorensonMi »

dr_computer wrote:In working with categories, on the listing I now have lost the all category and if I try to put it back I get a second"All". Anyone know how to put back the default "All"?
Can you please contact me directly - I'd like to look into this problem further. I'm unable to duplicate this.

Mindie
dr_computer

Post by dr_computer »

I have 2 All categories in the user selection list. Only one will appear in the admin list. Selecting the one that is at the top of the user list opens articles with no display of the ALL heading. Selecting the added All that is at the bottom of the list displays the articles with the ALL heading. Both Alls on the user list function OK but display different.
dr_computer

Post by dr_computer »

Is it possible to have a programmer assist me in the Newsletter categories to remove a second "all" category now in my category list?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dr_computer wrote:Is it possible to have a programmer assist me in the Newsletter categories to remove a second "all" category now in my category list?
I can't speak for the programmers; perhaps one will see this thread, perhaps not.

But it seems to me that if you have two "All" categories, then the most likely scenario is that one is the default "All" category, and the other is one that you manually added (as you have noted previously).

To delete the one you added manually:
  1. Go to the admin section of the Newsletter (click the Admin link near the upper right corner).
  2. In the Categories section, find the category with the name "All"
  3. Click the X at the right edge of the row containing the "All" category
  4. In the "Are you sure?" popup, decide if you want to reassign the articles currently using the All category to another category (I would think you would not want to do this, so don't select any of the radio buttons)
  5. Click YES to confirm.
That should remove the extra "All" category that you added. If that doesn't work for you, please report back where in those steps it didn't work.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dr_computer

Post by dr_computer »

All category is still functioning as described above. When I remove added "All" there is not one listed on the drop down list of categories. I do not get a default "All" in the Admin list.
dr_computer

Post by dr_computer »

Mindy did you get my email re: this problem? <0x0iszer0@dahlsite.net>
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dr_computer wrote:All category is still functioning as described above. When I remove added "All" there is not one listed on the drop down list of categories. I do not get a default "All" in the Admin list.
But that's exactly how it should be working. There is no "All" category for you to apply to an article, and that is why it doesn't appear in the drop down list of categories, nor does it appear in the Admin category list.

The "All" category appears only on the normal view of the Newsletter. It is a special view option (not really a category at all) that says that all articles in all categories should be displayed.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dr_computer

Post by dr_computer »

A category selection is required. What do I select if there is no "All" listed". I understand better howw it works with this explanation but I still have a problem handling "all" information articles.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dr_computer wrote:A category selection is required. What do I select if there is no "All" listed". I understand better howw it works with this explanation but I still have a problem handling "all" information articles.
You have to select one of the categories for an article. It doesn't really make sense to select "All" for an article, since "All" is simply a special viewing option that shows articles in all the categories (and thus it is not an option for a category to apply to an article). So as you're creating an article, select the existing category that matches best. Or if no category matches, create one (hopefully a category that can be used for other future articles as well) and then apply that new category to your article.

Return to “Beta Newsletter”