Stake Admin Access to each Ward Site?

The Newsletter application will eventually appear alongside Calendar, Directory, and Maps
dstorry

Stake Admin Access to each Ward Site?

Post by dstorry »

When will the system allow Stake Admins to access wards in their area of responsibility?

It is hard to help ward admins fix problems if you cannot see what they have done?
In the classic site I could log on as Stake Admin and help individual wards fix errors or concerns.

Will we also be able to use HTML code on news site to say emphasis specific items?

Dave
cognifloyd

A couple of thoughts...

Post by cognifloyd »

When I need to help wards, I go to them, have them login with their accounnt, and then I proceed to teach them how to use the system. Though there will be some upfront headaches, I believe doing it this way (not just fixing issues for the wards, but showing them how to resolve their own issues) will encourage more people to take an active role in the progress of their wards/stakes. And when I teach them, I try very hard to do like the handbooks, and provide "the right amount of structure without regimenting every detail." (Elder Uchtdorf at the latest Worldwide Leadership Training)

I agree it would be convenient to see how wards are using the tools. But, I wonder if people at the ward level will take more of an interest in fixing the problem when they realize they're up for bat - they've got to step up to the plate and play their hearts out. They can't just defer to stake leaders. In my case, I was called as both Stake Website Administrator and Stake Assistant Clerk because they didn't want me to just manage the online tools for the stake, but teach and show the wards how to use those tools. I understand that's me, and my perspective, and your priesthood leaders might say something different. I'm cool with that. I just thought I'd share my perspective on these tools. This post is not intended to offend or flame, nor start a flame war. I'm just sharing. :)

Of course, I'm also in Utah, where physically going to the disparate wards to teach them is not an issue. For stakes with more remote wards, I'd probably use Google+ Hangout and have the other person I'm teaching share their screen with me as I walk them through how to use the system and diagnose their problems. There are other ways, that'd just be my preferred method. ;) I've met with people in Germany on Google+ Hangout, and I think it would work very well for this use-case.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dstorry wrote:When will the system allow Stake Admins to access wards in their area of responsibility?

It is hard to help ward admins fix problems if you cannot see what they have done?
In the classic site I could log on as Stake Admin and help individual wards fix errors or concerns.

The Newsletter FAQ says: "Currently, only members assigned to a ward will have access. Additionally, only those members in a ward can see the articles for that ward."

There's a rather long discussion on the general topic of stake access in the thread Will there will be access to schedule classes at stake level?. That discussion is in the context of the Lesson Schedules application, but much of the philosophy applies here. The basic answer is that the limited development resources are focused on delivering essential functionality, and additional stake access is not considered essential at this point.

At least with the Newsletter application, stake administrators can do all the same things at the stake level that ward administrators can do at the ward level, so they can provide all needed training. The one thing they can't do is perform administrative functions at the ward level. But I don't think that will be a significant problem with this rather simple Newsletter application. Sure, it would be nice, but we can live with it for now.
dstorry wrote:Will we also be able to use HTML code on news site to say emphasis specific items?
The thread Error handling for use of HTML tag characters seems to indicate that HTML tags are not allowed.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
caj36

Stake Access

Post by caj36 »

As a Stake Clerk, it would be nice for me to be able to see what is posted on the Ward newsletters for at least 2 reasons. The first reason cited above, namely being able to help them troubleshoot problems. The second reason is so that I could see what is posted in Ward newsletters and cross-post appropriate articles to the Stake newsletter.

Having the functionality to "promote" a post from a Ward page to the Stake page would be helpful in some cases. I can always copy and paste, but if I can't see the Ward pages I won't readily know when to copy and paste.

I understand there are limited resources, and I appreciate all of the work put into this project.

Return to “Beta Newsletter”