looking up chapels by their common names

Beta testing of maps.lds.org
james34

Post by james34 »

aebrown wrote:After all, local nicknames are not at all guaranteed to be unique, since they are simply conventions that have come into being over time in individual stakes, with no central database or coordination with neighboring stakes to guarantee uniqueness.

I understand that now. Being new to beta testing for the church site I had an idea of where the data might be able to come from so I shared it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

james34 wrote:Well how about this for an example:

I have another one:
A member sitting in sacrament meeting, hears the announcement of a interesting fireside in the "Newtown Chapel". They've only lived in the area for a few years, and the chapel is in another stake. How can they find out where the "Newtown Chapel" is?

I do think it would be a useful feature. Perhaps a name could be given by the "Admin" of the location in the calendar app. Searching would be a bit problematic because the names may not be unique, but perhaps a search by city & building name would work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I do think it would be a useful feature. Perhaps a name could be given by the "Admin" of the location in the calendar app. Searching would be a bit problematic because the names may not be unique, but perhaps a search by city & building name would work.

I said earlier that it would be a useful feature. But no one living in an area that has a dense LDS population would think that a simplistic approach of city and building name would work. It's very common for buildings to be named after the street they are on. Some streets in the Salt Lake Valley may stretch for several miles and have a dozen or more buildings on them in several stakes. I know that one street in my city has four buildings in three different stakes.

So I like the idea, but we shouldn't underestimate the work needed to implement it in a useful way.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Just as a trial, I tried to search by the common names here. We only have 2 wards and 1 building in Owasso, OK.
Searching on "Owasso Ward" (the former name when we only had 1 ward) failed.
Searching on "Owasso Building" failed
Searching on Owasso, OK succeeded in finding our building and others in nearby communities.

For areas with less dense LDS populations, this would probably work OK, though likely not good enough for dense LDS areas as pointed out in the numerous examples and posts above.

Return to “Beta Maps”