Mission maps available in Directory

Beta testing of maps.lds.org
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

It looks like they are working on the map. I am having problems now with the boundary being displayed. Each time I click a missionary name I get something different. Occasionally I get a map of our ward area, sometimes I get a map of the mission area, and sometimes I get the proxy error message. When I get a map there are no boundaries.

Now I am wondering what the map is suppose to display. The title says Mission Boundary. That is oblique since it could mean the missionary's current local mission, which would be the ward boundaries, or it could mean the mission area in which the missionary remains for their entire mission. For the longest time I thought it was the mission area and not the local mission because the map displayed that until today.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
greggo

Post by greggo »

I works for me now. Both the embedded and LDS Maps show the entire mission boundary where the missionary is serving.
Great job!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:Now I am wondering what the map is suppose to display. The title says Mission Boundary. That is oblique since it could mean the missionary's current local mission, which would be the ward boundaries, or it could mean the mission area in which the missionary remains for their entire mission. For the longest time I thought it was the mission area and not the local mission because the map displayed that until today.

What is displayed is always the official boundary for the mission that the missionary is serving in. If you are looking at a missionary assigned to your ward, it will be the mission your ward is located in. If you are looking at a missionary serving from your ward, you will see the mission that missionary is currently serving in.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mhackwell

Post by mhackwell »

This is a great new feature to the directory. We have 3 sets of missionaries serving in our ward but only one is listed in the directory. Are we unique enough that this won't be addressed? The missionaries serving from our ward all display, with maps, properly.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mhackwell wrote:This is a great new feature to the directory. We have 3 sets of missionaries serving in our ward but only one is listed in the directory. Are we unique enough that this won't be addressed? The missionaries serving from our ward all display, with maps, properly.
There are two possible reasons for only one of the 3 sets of missionaries serving in your ward being displayed:
  • The software can't handle more than one set of missionaries (I consider that to be unlikely, since that situation is not at all uncommon in many areas of the world -- in my mission I don't think we ever had fewer than 2 sets of missionaries assigned to a ward)
  • The mission has not properly assigned the missionaries to your ward in whatever software they use to set up these assignments. If that's the case, a quick call to the mission office should let you know the situation, and prompt the mission to correct the assignments.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

We have 2 Sisters and 2 Elders assigned to our ward. I've noticed that they appear to be alternated between the Sisters and the Elders, on a 2 day rota.

This applies to the main online Directory, but as at the time of writing this the Maps Beta site is down for maintenance, so I'm unable to see if the same behavior applies.

Return to “Beta Maps”