Photos on LDS Tools

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
zaneclark

Photos on LDS Tools

Post by zaneclark »

I can probably answer my own question, but I have over 100 photos posted to the online directory, but someone pointed out to me today that none of these show on LDS Tools. It seems that LDS Tools pulls all the data from MLS so that is the only data shown, thus no photos. I haven't tried to upload any photos to the LDS Tools app but it looks like it is possible. Do I have all my ducks in a row?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:It seems that LDS Tools pulls all the data from MLS so that is the only data shown, thus no photos.
That's not true. LDS Tools has no ability to pull any data from MLS. It can only pull data from the web services designed to provide data to that mobile app. There is no impediment to those web services providing photos. However, I don't know if those web services currently can provide images, and even if they do, I don't know if LDS Tools has been written to consume such data. All I'm saying is that the fact that MLS has no photo images is definitely not a reason why LDS Tools doesn't display photos.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
PatRichardson

Post by PatRichardson »

We are currently working on adding photo display capability.
It will look something like this:
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (12.72 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Photos are available on LDSTools but only for individuals, as the current Tools doesn't place members into family groups. If the directory has a family photo, Tools will use this photo for an individual. This all seems a bit random, and doesn't work the same every time. Your example seems to indicate that Tools will soon have family groups...that is a good enhancement.
patrichardson wrote:We are currently working on adding photo display capability.
It will look something like this:
jgthomas

Post by jgthomas »

Correct. Photos only show up for individuals. LDS Tools first checks to see if there is a photo for the individual. If there is not an individual photo, LDS Tools checks for the family photo and uses that for the individual.
PatRichardson

Post by PatRichardson »

zaneclark wrote:Photos are available on LDSTools but only for individuals, as the current Tools doesn't place members into family groups. If the directory has a family photo, Tools will use this photo for an individual. This all seems a bit random, and doesn't work the same every time. Your example seems to indicate that Tools will soon have family groups...that is a good enhancement.
Yes, in the 2.0 release of LDS Tools we hope to have a family picture on the main directory screen, like in the mockup I posted above.
jbott01

Re: Photos on LDS Tools

Post by jbott01 »

Any news of when family pictures might be available in LDS Tools for iPhone/iPad? We have a lot families in the ward that have uploaded family pictures and individual parent pictures (but not individual children pics). Therefore, whenever people view the pictures in LDS Tools, all they see is the individual pics of the parents and not the whole family with the kids. As a ward clerk, our Bishop has asked that I try hard to get all the family photos on LDS.org/ Tools but he gets frustrated when he can't see the whole family pic on the app (under the aforementioned scenario)- even though I've done my part and uploaded it.

Any updates?

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”