Caller ID for iOS app, via Apple CallKit

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
danhitchcock

Caller ID for iOS app, via Apple CallKit

Post by danhitchcock »

As of iOS 10, Apple/iOS supports the ability for third-party applications like LDS Tools to provide caller ID to the system phone interface via CallKit. Developer reference is here: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/callkit. The integration looks relatively straightforward, and I'd be happy to suggest an implementation if there's a way for me to have a look at the source.

Like many other previous Android users who have posted here and elsewhere, I really miss this feature. I feel especially bad for the exec secretary who posted this issue!

If caller ID via LDS Tools has already been implemented for iOS, and simply requires a settings change, please pardon my ignorance, and post the details on how to enable.

Thanks very much!
quandmeme

Re: Caller ID for iOS app, via Apple CallKit

Post by quandmeme »

I sustain this
quandmeme

Post by quandmeme »

Upon more reflection, I’m guessing that the database tables of the LDS tools app are encrypted in a way that would not play well with CallKit. I’m guessing the database is designed for cross platform operations and wouldn’t be re-written just to accommodate this feature—as much as I want it.

Does that speculation fit with reality?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The problem is with the web service that all tools (online and apps) use to get directory information. The tool removes the entire directory, then downloads the entire directory. Nobody cares to change that behavior (I'm quite certain nobody owns it anymore and the original developer doesn't work for the church anymore) so we're all in the same boat.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

This feature is scheduled to be released in LDS Tools 3.4.0, which is currently in beta.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Will that mean text messages will also come through with the person identified?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

johnshaw wrote:Will that mean text messages will also come through with the person identified?
No, unfortunately – at least not on iOS (Apple's API doesn't support texts with Caller ID).
brenmabes

Post by brenmabes »

Why isn’t my phone accepting the update and putting LDS tools in my list to allow access to my contacts?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

bmabey56 wrote:Why isn’t my phone accepting the update and putting LDS tools in my list to allow access to my contacts?
Are you on the latest version of LDS Tools (3.4.0, 6214, for iOS – you can check under More > Help)?
What version of iOS are you running?
If you go to Settings > Phone > Call Blocking & Identification, do you see LDS Tools on the list?
danielloveland

Post by danielloveland »

I'm having the same problem: no option for LDS tools under Settings > Phone > Call Blocking & Identification

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”