Can I pick the email program when emailing from lds tools?

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
nathanearlpilling

Can I pick the email program when emailing from lds tools?

Post by nathanearlpilling »

I have two email accounts on my iPhone, inbox by google and the "mail" app.

When I email a list of people from the lds tools app, it uses the "mail" app, which is my work email account. I want church emails to come from my personal email account.

Is this possible?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Can I pick the email program when emailing from lds tools?

Post by sbradshaw »

This isn't currently possible, because iOS doesn't allow you to change the default email app, or choose between apps when following a mailto: link. It's an iOS limitation. The only workaround is to connect your personal email account to both Gmail and Apple Mail (in addition to your work account), which will allow you to send and receive messages on either one.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
scardenaj

Post by scardenaj »

There has to be a work around because virtually every other app that I use for emailing contacts asks me which email service I would like to email from (I have numerous on this phone including work and personal). How about instead of doing an automatic mailto link, delete the mailto option and create a “copy email addresses” option so that the individual user can paste it into any email service of their choice. This would be much more functional and practical- no one uses their iCloud account.
ToddGalbraith

Post by ToddGalbraith »

Thank you for asking this question. I am desperately seeking a solution to this exact same issue. I want to either be able to simply copy the email address so I can drop into my Outlook 360 mail app, or have Outlook be my default email account to send the email message from.

:|
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

scardenaj wrote:There has to be a work around because virtually every other app that I use for emailing contacts asks me which email service I would like to email from (I have numerous on this phone including work and personal). How about instead of doing an automatic mailto link, delete the mailto option and create a “copy email addresses” option so that the individual user can paste it into any email service of their choice. This would be much more functional and practical- no one uses their iCloud account.
Although most users probably don't use their iCloud account for email (many do), I think that most iOS users do use the default Apple Mail app, which supports sending and receiving mail on iCloud, Gmail, Outlook, Hotmail, and a myriad of other email accounts from a single app.

To support other email apps, LDS Tools would need to have a list of email apps with their protocols (for example, the protocol for Gmail is googlegmail://), and check which of them are installed, then show each of those in a list to choose from. It's possible to do, but it would require extra code, and maintenance to keep the list up to date. You could send it as a suggestion using the "Contact Us" option in LDS Tools.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”