Syncing data now limited to only 10 units in the stake

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Syncing data now limited to only 10 units in the stake

Post by lajackson »

It sounds as if iOS is special. We have 11 wards and branches in our stake. In a different operating system, the first five show up with the stake when I hit the unit dropdown, but I can scroll the dropdown to see the other six units and select the one I desire.

I will have to speak with my iOS friends Sunday and see how they are faring.
gregorg

Post by gregorg »

I have this same problem, same version of lds tools on iOS 8. (the latest version of lds tools, 3.2.0, released in March 2017, runs only on iOS 9+)

I first noticed the problem over a month ago while syncing two stakes (home and ysa) for an out-of-unit calling. with 11 units, though, even my home stake (and stake info) is unavailable to me now. I have received no response to any queries sent through the app. It is truly baffling that they'd disable an app with limits so divorced from IRL use cases.
johnglis

Post by johnglis »

My version of iOS is 7.1.2, the latest for the iPhone4. When I select the stake, a popup says that "Too many units selected! Select up to 10 units to sync."
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It sounds like everyone who's having the problem is on an older version of iOS, and isn't able to update to the newest version of LDS Tools. As far as I can tell, everything works on the newer/current version of LDS Tools. Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done to support older versions of the app.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done to support older versions of the app.
What's odd, is this seems to be a recent problem. Was that a bug that was in that particular version that came out just before the cut-off?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It sounds like it started recently, so I'm guessing it was caused by changes to the sync service to support newer features in the current version of the app.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:It sounds like it started recently, so I'm guessing it was caused by changes to the sync service to support newer features in the current version of the app.
So there's no way to fix the sync service when dealing with older versions?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It's possible, but based on the low number of developers and the continuing to-do list for the current version of the app, I doubt it would be a priority. The bug is annoying, but there's a workaround (choosing a different set of units to sync at different times), and it only affects (relatively) few users – those on older versions of iOS, who need to contact members in other wards. But it wouldn't hurt to send in-app feedback. Maybe if a lot of people report it it will be brought to the attention of the people who make priority decisions.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Do I assume correctly that syncing 10 units does not affect the other units already loaded, or does one have to select for syncing and see only 10 units at a time?

If you sync 10 and alternate which 10 you sync, you could still have a manageable situation until reality sets in where it counts. You could even just do a double sync every time. I know, a workaround and bad form (and sync takes a few seconds less than forever on my device), but a workable solution for now.

On the other hand, if you sync 10 and then all the other units go away, I would be an unhappy camper.
johnglis

Post by johnglis »

When you sync, previously synced units are deleted. So you cannot ever get all of the units in the stake on your phone.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”