Export LDS Tools contacts to Gmail?

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
toddjconklin

Export LDS Tools contacts to Gmail?

Post by toddjconklin »

Hey,

I'm getting sustained to a certain calling this Sunday ( :shock: ) in which I will be getting lots of calls from ward members. I need to know now to transfer the ward list into my phone so that I can recognise names and numbers when they call as I have a work phone and need to distinguish work from church.

I've had a look on here and am aware that caller ID is not allowed in iPhone (https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ne#p129524) which is very annoying as this would be perfect.

Does anybody know is it possible to export from LDS Tools to Gmail contacts? Or alternatively would it work to go from LDS Tools to *.csv to Gmail? If anybody has tried is this successful and have any tips?

Cheers
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Export LDS Tools contacts to Gmail?

Post by sbradshaw »

Caller ID apps are supported on iPhone as of iOS 10, which was released at the end of 2016, but I haven't heard anything about it being adopted as a feature in LDS Tools. You can send in-app feedback requesting it. There's no way to export in bulk (most likely because of privacy laws/policies), but you can export people's contact information one by one from their individual profile pages.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Something to keep in mind when doing a export: how that will work when changes are made? Will you be able to mass-delete the last import from your phone and do a fresh one? Otherwise, you could have a real mess. Especially when you eventually get released and need to pair the phone list back down to just friends and family.

Android does have the caller ID feature, but I've never really found it useful. I'm not sure why but I only see the ID after the fact, not when the call is ringing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

russellhltn wrote: Android does have the caller ID feature, but I've never really found it useful. I'm not sure why but I only see the ID after the fact, not when the call is ringing.
I see a little bubble with the name in the middle of my screen while it is ringing.
toddjconklin

Post by toddjconklin »

Thanks for the replies.

If LDS Tools could support Caller ID in iPhone now that would be fantastic. Not sure how to request the feature but I'll look into it. Surely this would be a feature in fairy large demand if iOS 10 allowed it now...

Regarding the constant move-ins and move-outs, yes that will be problematic. I don't quite know how to deal with that. I think the best I could do would be to manually add and delete when people moved out or moved in. Whilst annoying, it would be far easier than entering everyone from scratch.

As to what to do when I get released, I've already thought of that - that's easy. I would open a separate gmail account for contacts only. When I'm done, just delete the account. But this is all irrelevant anyway if you can't do a bulk export. I was just assuming that would be possible. If you can export, surly you could export all at once and not just individual records?

Thanks again, if anybody can clarify further, please do!
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Wouldn't that be a nice feature :)
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
brent_thomson

Post by brent_thomson »

What you're really asking for isn't caller ID integration, but contact list integration. There have been requests in the past to make lds.org data available to phones as contact sources:

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8399

Doing this would seamlessly integrate with incoming calls on all platforms, regardless of what features (like caller ID hooks) might be exposed by the system. It would also remain synchronized with every change.

Lds.org as a contact repo would obviously be super helpful for people in many callings.
jcarroll

Post by jcarroll »

toddjconklin wrote:this is all irrelevant anyway if you can't do a bulk export. I was just assuming that would be possible. If you can export, surly you could export all at once and not just individual records?
I hope this isn't too late to be helpful. Yes, it is possible to do a bulk export of membership information into a CSV spreadsheet, from which you can import into Google Contacts (i.e. Gmail) or other systems that will show up on your phone so you can know if it's a work call or a church call.

First, from the support page on exporting ward directory, as of 31 October 2016:
Export Household Information

A Ward Administrator can export Ward household data in the directory. The exported file will be in comma separated value (CSV) format, which will allow you to open the data in a spreadsheet application such as Microsoft Excel. The household data can be used only for Church use, and not for any commercial, business, or political purposes. If you are not a Ward Administrator you can contact one of the individuals in your Ward listed under Roles and Responsibilities in Help to make a request for an exported file.

If you are a Ward Administrator, you are prompted with the option to include or exclude private profiles in the export.

Stake leaders and clerks can also export data for any ward in their stake. Stake leaders can only export information for one ward at a time, not for the entire stake at once.
  1. In the left sidebar, click Export Households.
  2. Select whether you want to include private members. If you include them, the download will include all member information, including private profiles.
  3. Click Download.
  4. Save the CSV file to a location on your computer.
Second, as eblood66 pointed out on Wed May 24, 2017:
As of right now it still exists in the Directory (lds.org/directory) but I always expect it to disappear at any time since every other export has been removed. I'm pretty sure it's only available to bishopric members, clerks and the executive secretary.
If you aren't in one of those callings, I suggest that you kindly ask the clerk to assist you.

Third, see attached screenshot.

I tried it today as branch clerk, and I have a CSV file with names and phone numbers in it.
Attachments
export households.png
(75.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
toddjconklin

Post by toddjconklin »

jcarroll wrote:I hope this isn't too late to be helpful. Yes, it is possible to do a bulk export of membership information into a CSV spreadsheet, from which you can import into Google Contacts (i.e. Gmail) or other systems that will show up on your phone so you can know if it's a work call or a church call.
Hi Josh,

Thanks so much, yes that helps a lot! I just did it. I'm SURE that option to export didn't exist before!!! But then again, when my wife asks me to fetch something around the house, it's never there when I look, but then magically appears right where she said it was when she comes to find it lol.

If only the ward list exported into individuals for each row instead of households! I'm now going to have to deconstruct the spreadsheet a little to get spouses to have their own row with their own mobile number. As it is, it will appear as the 'couple name' with either the "family phone", "head of house phone" or "spouse phone" as they all appear in the same row. If there are any other great ideas to solve this problem it would be great, but I'm much further along now then having to enter everything manually. Thanks!
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

toddjconklin wrote:If only the ward list exported into individuals for each row instead of households! I'm now going to have to deconstruct the spreadsheet a little to get spouses to have their own row with their own mobile number. As it is, it will appear as the 'couple name' with either the "family phone", "head of house phone" or "spouse phone" as they all appear in the same row. If there are any other great ideas to solve this problem it would be great, but I'm much further along now then having to enter everything manually. Thanks!
You can do this by individual TODAY with good old-fashioned MLS:
1. I would set up a custom report to select everyone listed as "head of house" or "spouse"
2. Then I would select the information I wanted on the report (preferred name, individual number, individual e-mail, address, household number, etc).
3. Select the order I want the data to appear (columns in the report)
4. Export the report as a .csv file
5. Import the .csv into a spreadsheet and you will a report with each parent in the household on their own line (note: for member children of non-member parents, you will have to manually remove them as they may be listed as head of house)

The only downside is you have to go to an MLS computer to do it. I have an instruction for MLS custom reports I built some years ago to assist my father when he was called as ward clerk in his ward. I would be happy to email it to anyone who would like it - pm me me your e-mail address.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”