Can't access Home and visiting teaching list on my app

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can't access Home and visiting teaching list on my app

Post by russellhltn »

bomberopm wrote:I have been told by quorum leaders numerous times that my home teaching families are “on the app”
A common problem. The app don't give any indication as to what information a person sees is "privilege" for a given calling and how much (or how little) is available to the general membership.

Bottom line, the quorum leaders are incorrect. Only the leadership, which includes as little as Bishopric and Quorum leaders to as much as the ward council can see HT information. The general membership cannot.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
thebundok

Post by thebundok »

I have to say that I think this is probably one of the more ridiculous reasonings I have ever heard. Essentially telling a member that in order for him/her to know who they should be visiting and/or who should be visiting them they need to communicate with someone in a leadership position just creates one more unnecessary task and hoop to jump through for information that should be freely accessible to every member.

It's no different than if that member had faithfully kept the piece of paper I handed them 2 months ago. Except that if they promptly lost that paper they have to own-up, admit they lost it and approach me to know what there assignments are. HT numbers are already abysmal, why make more barriers?

Conversely, if a less active member (or even an active member) needs/wants to know who their HT's are what impetus do they have for calling the EQ president or Bishop to find out? They're already less-active for a reason. Creating one more barrier for them isn't helping. Creating a barrier for an active member who "just doesn't want to bother the EQ with such a silly question" (yes, I have had that exact response) also isn't helping.

I'd also like to add my two cents here that it's very frustrating not knowing what is/isn't available to every member. I'm one of those EQP's who has been telling everyone to check the app/check online if you need to know who your families are and to make sure they report online as well.

Since I'm on my soap-box... what a waste of paper as well. This is the 21st century, c'mon guys.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thebundok wrote:Since I'm on my soap-box... what a waste of paper as well. This is the 21st century, c'mon guys.
Write a letter to First Presidency, Presiding Bishopric or the Quorum of the 12. That would be a lot more effective.

"We" don't get to decide these things. Nor do the developers. The Brethren sets the agenda.

As I understand it, that feature is on the list - but additional development is required before it can be rolled out. Apparently there's a number of things taking priority. But again, no one who reads this forum gets to set the priority.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I agree that it was a little silly for my HPGL to hand me a slip of paper yesterday with my new home teaching assignments, considering the fact that as ward clerk, I was already aware of the changes, since I had seen them on LCR the night before.

When home teaching was managed through MLS, only priesthood leaders had access to the home teaching assignments. As I understand it, the home teaching application was ported to LCR with little to no enhancements. So priesthood leaders are still the only ones who can see home teaching assignments.

Since the number of developers is so small, I suspect the #1 priority for LCR enhancement in 2018 is completing the porting of finance (deposits and checks) to LCR. If that is the only feature change this year, it will probably take all available developers to complete the task.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

thebundok wrote:I have to say that I think this is probably one of the more ridiculous reasonings I have ever heard. Essentially telling a member that in order for him/her to know who they should be visiting and/or who should be visiting them they need to communicate with someone in a leadership position just creates one more unnecessary task and hoop to jump through for information that should be freely accessible to every member.
One the developers explained a while back that the reason HT/VT assignments are not currently available to everyone is that there is no staging area for changes. As soon as the presidency makes a change in LCR it would be visible to everyone. But changes are often entered before they are effective. In some cases the bishops approval must be obtained first. In others the changes may be provisional as the presidency works out all the changes they need to make. So this feature has to wait until the there are resources available to enhance the system to allow changes to be hidden until they are ready and approved.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:In some cases the bishops approval must be obtained first.
Not just "some". "They obtain the bishop’s approval for each companionship and each home teaching assignment." - Handbook 2: 7.4

eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:
eblood66 wrote:In some cases the bishops approval must be obtained first.
Not just "some". "They obtain the bishop’s approval for each companionship and each home teaching assignment." - Handbook 2: 7.4
Well, I meant that in some cases the bishop's approval still has to be obtained. In other words, sometimes the approval may have happened before it's entered. But some presidencies may want to enter the changes before submitting printouts to the bishop.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”